Women's Lacrosse

Syracuse defense, Kayla Treanor lead Orange to 13-10 win over Penn in NCAA tournament opener

Pennsylvania’s Emily Rogers-Healion ran in and unloaded a shot from about 5 yards in front of the net with 15 minutes to play. It soared past Syracuse goalie Kelsey Richardson but hit the crossbar.

The Quakers picked up the rebound and later in the same possession, Penn’s Tory Bensen earned a free-position opportunity. Once again, a Penn shot flew past Richardson.

It was just that kind of day as No. 4-seed Syracuse (15-7, 3-4 Atlantic Coast) beat Pennsylvania (14-6, 6-1 Ivy) by a score of 13-10 on Sunday afternoon at SU Soccer Stadium in the first round of the NCAA tournament. Thanks to a mid-game turnaround from SU’s defense and another dominant performance by Kayla Treanor, who scored four goals, the Orange will take on Loyola (Maryland) next weekend in the quarterfinals.

After Syracuse took an early 2-1 lead, Penn went on a 3-0 run. Lob passes flew over the top of the Orange’s zone defense, forcing SU to extend outward and leaving the interior of the field open.

The Quakers capitalized with goals by Shannon Mangini, Bensen and Catherine Dickinson.

At one point, a UP fan yelled “Gary run the backer! We like the backer!” — a verbal jab at SU head coach Gary Gait after the Quakers scored three straight.

But Syracuse turned it around and went on a 6-2 run spanning the end of the first half and beginning of the second. After the game was tied at five, SU’s zone defense locked down and its offense began to click.

Four minutes before halftime, Penn tried another cross-field skip pass. The ball flew from Nina Corcoran’s stick over the head of Lely DeSimone. The ball rolled out of bounds and SU associate head coach Regy Thorpe picked it up — a contrast from when Penn’s cross-field skip passes led to goals.

A minute before halftime, Gait called timeout and on the ensuing possession, Treanor cradled away from the goal. Space opened up on the underside of the Penn defense and Treanor found Halle Majorana on the crease. The pass was high, but Majorana jumped up and swatted the ball in, giving Syracuse an 8-6 lead.

The Orange rattled off several draw controls early in the second half, giving SU a chance to take control. And it did.

Syracuse scored four goals within an eight-minute span, giving the Orange an 11-7 lead.

Taylor Gait caught the ball at the top of the 12-meter arc and dodged to her right and scored.

A minute and a half later, Treanor backed down on her defender while curling in front of the goal, dropped her hands and scored on a low-to-high shot.

Treanor then won the next draw and sparked a transition chance for SU. Taylor Poplawski ran the ball down the field, causing the defense to slide leaving Riley Donahue open on the doorstep.

Donahue scored Syracuse’s 11th goal of the game, which proved to be enough on Sunday.