Softball

Syracuse offense explodes for 13 runs to blow out Niagara

Hannah Wagner | Staff Photographer

Syracuse celebrates a home during Wednesday's doubleheader. The Orange scored 11 runs in the first game and 13 in the second, outscoring Niagara 24-0 on the day.

Syracuse has struggled to get hits in crucial situations all season long.

But on Wednesday afternoon, the Orange recorded timely hits to score runs when it mattered.

“That’s what those hitters need, they need that confidence,” SU head coach Leigh Ross said. “… I think we had kind of gotten into this mode where our offense was just slow. We’re starting to pick that up now.”

Syracuse (17-22, 1-10 Atlantic Coast) defeated Niagara (1-27, 1-7 Metro Atlantic) by a score of 13-0 in the second game of a doubleheader at SU Softball Stadium following an 11-0 shutout in the first game. Following a weekend of three frustrating losses to Pittsburgh, the Orange rebounded by scoring enough runs in each game to end the contests early due to the mercy rule.

The Orange batted around twice in the second game and only one player failed to get a hit in an offensive explosion for the most runs scored all season long. Rachel Burkhardt and Julie Wambold led the way for SU, recording four and three RBIs, respectively.

“They were aggressive hitting and swinging at first-pitch strikes and making something happen,” Ross said. “You got to keep attacking, that’s why it’s called offense. Those hits happen for you when you have confidence.”

In the second game, Syracuse started off the bottom of the first inning strong and never looked back.

Burkhardt stepped to the plate with the bases loaded and two outs. On a 2-2 pitch, the No. 8 hitter rocketed a bases-clearing double that rolled to the fence in right-centerfield to put the Orange up 5-0 early.

Burkhardt said she didn’t feel “too hot” at the plate, but assistant coach Matt Nandin encouraged her to keep it simple and it paid off.

“Rachel Burkhardt’s been making contact and hitting the ball hard,” Ross said. “That’s all we ask, hit the ball hard and good things happen.”

Sammy Fernandez followed with a single and Maddi Doane hit a liner that hit the right fielder’s shoulder and rolled toward the right-center gap. Burkhardt and Fernandez both scored on the play, which should’ve ended the inning but instead extended Syracuse’s lead to 7-0.

Niagara held Syracuse scoreless in the second and third innings, but the Orange offense resurfaced for another six runs in the bottom of the fourth. With the bases loaded and two outs, Wambold dug herself into the box and on the first pitch she saw, hit SU’s second three-run double of the game. The ball landed inches fair down the left-field line and rolled deep into foul territory to bring the score to 13-0.

In her third career start, AnnaMarie Gatti pitched with a lead for the first time all season. As she comes back from an injury, having runs on the scoreboard helped her calm down and work with confidence.

“It’s really nice, especially knowing (the game) can be over very fast,” Gatti said. “Knowing I don’t have to be out there and putting tons of pressure on my foot, but I can also practice my stuff in the game is really nice.”

The team left only five runners on base in a game it hopes help build confidence moving into the final eight games of the season.

“Today was a really good day because we didn’t press too much and we kept it simple,” Burkhardt said. “We knew what we were capable of and we just went up there saying, ‘No, we’re better than this. Let’s go do it.’”