crime

Syracuse midfielder Hayes McGinley suspended indefinitely after punching 2 people, arrest

UPDATED: March 22 at 7:24 p.m.

Syracuse redshirt freshman midfielder Hayes McGinley was suspended indefinitely from the team last Sunday for “a violation of team rules,” an SU Athletics spokesman said Sunday afternoon.

McGinley, 20, was arrested on March 14 after he punched a woman, 20, and a man, 29, in the face, giving the woman a bloody lip, Syracuse Police Lt. Eric Carr said in an email. The arrest happened on the 100 block of Marshall Street at 11:03 p.m., according to a Syracuse police bulletin.

The arrest occurred after the man observed McGinley, who was intoxicated, trying to get into the woman’s car. When the man tried to stop McGinley, McGinley punched him, Carr said.

The woman then came over and got into an argument with McGinley. McGinley pushed the woman, she hit him and McGinley hit her back, giving her a bloody lip, Carr said.

McGinley was arrested on two charges of harassment in the second degree and held in the Onondaga County Justice Center overnight because he was intoxicated. He was arraigned the following day, Carr said.

Harassment in the second degree is a violation and each count is punishable by a maximum fine of $250.

McGinley played in the lacrosse team’s first four games and recorded three shots.

“Our program and the athletic department have strict rules and expectations for the behavior of our student-athletes,” SU head coach John Desko said in a statement. “He did not meet those expectations.”