Rakeem Christmas receives All-ACC 1st team, ACSMA All-ACC defensive team honors

Frankie Prijatel | Photo Editor

Rakeem Christmas was named to the All-ACC first team and All-ACC defensive team on Sunday afternoon.

Syracuse senior Rakeem Christmas was named first-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference on Sunday, the league announced in a release. He was also named to the Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association All-ACC defensive team.

Christmas also received Most Improved Player in the conference and came in second in Defensive Player of the Year voting.

He joins Duke freshman Jahlil Okafor, Notre Dame senior Jerian Grant, Virginia junior Malcolm Brogdon and Boston College junior Olivier Hanlan on the all-conference first team.

Christmas makes the defensive team along with Brogdon, Virginia senior Darion Atkins, Miami junior Tonye Jekiri and North Carolina State sophomore BeeJay Anya.

Christmas finished his Syracuse career on Saturday with his 12th double-double of the season. He finished third in the conference averaging 17.5 points per game and fourth in rebounding at 9.1 boards per game. He finished his career with 247 blocks, including 2.5 per game this season. He was named on 58 of the 64 ballots for the all-defensive team, the most of any player.

No other Syracuse player made either all-conference teams or the honorable mention list. The Orange will not play in next week’s ACC tournament due to a self-imposed postseason ban. The Orange finished the season 18-13 and 9-9 in the conference.