Kitty Hoynes Irish Pub and Restaurant earns honorable mention from Dublin newspaper

Frankie Prijatel | Photo Editor

Kitty Hoyne’s Irish Pub and Restaurant recieved an honorable mention from the Irish Times, ranking the best Irish pubs outside Ireland.

Where the craic is mighty — that’s the slogan of Kitty Hoynes Irish Pub and Restaurant.

Craic, pronounced “crack,” is Irish slang for having a good time, said owner David Hoyne, who opened the Irish pub in Armory Square in 1999.

“Where the craic is mighty — where it’s great fun,” Hoyne said. “That’s having the craic.”

The Irish Times, a Dublin-based newspaper, used its project “Generation Emigration: Irish Life Abroad” to seek out the 10 best Irish pubs in the world outside of Ireland last month. When the competition began, Syracuse’s Kitty Hoynes immediately became a fighting contender and received an honorable mention after the Irish Times released its list of winners on Sunday.

The Irish Times received over 1,500 entries from 41 countries since Feb. 6, and the No. 1 spot was given to London’s Auld Shillelagh. The Dublin newspaper judged the contending pubs on their commitment and connections to Irish immigrants and community, the authenticity of their food, the role of culture and sport in the bar’s atmosphere and for each pub’s “craic factor.”

Sean Rooney, an Irish immigrant who met his wife at Kitty Hoynes, wrote in to the Irish Times to nominate Kitty Hoynes as one of the best Irish pubs outside of Ireland, and the newspaper published his submission within hours, Hoyne said.

Hoyne added that even though the restaurant didn’t make the top 10, its honorable mention is “a testament to what we do here.”

“It’s not just about putting the shamrock up. There’s a story behind everything in this place,” Hoyne said. “We want people to not know whether they’re in Dublin or in Syracuse. We work hard to try and replicate that.”

Danielle Peters, a portfolio manager with a wine and spirits distributor, said Hoyne is a genuinely hard worker and that he and Kitty Hoynes are a staple in the Syracuse area.

“Working from a business standpoint or coming in from a leisure standpoint, you get that same kind of service and that same standard of excellence,” Peters said. “It’s outstanding hospitality — it’s just a very positive, cheerful atmosphere.”

Derik Higgins, who has worked as a bartender at Kitty Hoynes for more than a decade, said the Irish pub has been a great place to work, any day of the year.

“We do Irish here 365 days a year,” Higgins said. “This place screams Irish pub.”

Graphic

Kitty Hoynes is also known for its community involvement. From hosting local Irish bands, organizing its summertime Run Club and contributing to the St. Baldrick’s Foundation, a volunteer-driven charity, Kitty Hoynes actively supports organizations and aids in forging friendships.

“Kitty Hoynes is always so involved in the community, and very supportive of local and national charities. And that means a lot,” Peters said.

Kitty Hoynes has been raising money for St. Baldrick’s Foundation for the past 11 years, Higgins said, and in the past year alone, the bar has raised around $420,000 for the cause.

“We do Baldrick’s every year,” Higgins said of the restaurant’s annual fundraiser. “It’s our way of giving back.”

For St. Patrick’s Day, Kitty Hoynes will open its doors at 9 a.m., and will be serving traditional Irish meals all day — imported Irish sausages, black and white pudding, fried eggs, potatoes and corned beef and cabbage. The pub will also hand out commemorative buttons and host two Irish bands. Hoyne said he expects hundreds to walk through the doors throughout the day.

“It’s hard to know, but everybody’s in good spirits,” Hoyne said. “We like making people happy. We might have ‘em for an hour or two, but we can change them from having a bad day to putting a smile on their face — that’s Irish hospitality at its finest.”