Student Association

Director of Academic Affairs presents plans for summer undergraduate research program

Student Association Director of Academic Affairs Katherine Desy presented plans for this summer’s undergraduate research program at SA’s meeting on Monday night in Maxwell Auditorium, which lasted about an hour.

Desy gave a brief summary of what the program consists of and answered questions from assembly representatives. Undergraduate students can apply for the pilot research program, where they can receive a $1,000 stipend to work on research with a professor or faculty member of their choosing at SU over the summer, according to an email sent by SA President Boris Gresely to the student body last Thursday.

Desy said in an interview following the meeting that SA’s short-term goal is to find seven students who will do a great job utilizing the stipend.

If the summer goes well, SA plans to apply for funding from the provost office for the program — something Desy said in the past has been difficult to do. From there, Desy said SA’s long-term goals would be to hopefully grow the program every year.

Candidates for the program will meet with an SA representative and a faculty member on April 27 and 28, according to Gresely’s campus-wide email. Applicants will be notified of the final decision on April 30.

While SA won’t be making the final decision on candidates, Desy said she thinks those that will qualify for the program will probably be students that have good academic standing, students who potentially have past research and internship experience and students that have good personalities and are willing to reach out and ask questions.

She added that SA wants to see students that show interest and a passion in the research they will be doing taking part in the program.

Desy said SA members spoke with Elizabeth Liddy, SU’s interim vice chancellor and provost, earlier this semester, where they were told that with SU’s Fast Forward Program, the university was talking about doing more undergraduate research anyway.

“I think if we as students bring this initiative in and say, ‘This is what students really want,’ then the university will be able to respond to that,” Desy said.

Beyond the provost office, Desy hopes SA will be able to partner with other offices on campus in the future, which either give funding or provide opportunities to students.

“Hopefully it becomes a university-wide thing, eventually,” she said.