Work Wednesday

Work Wednesday: Frederick Morse

Erin Carter | Staff Photographer

Frederick Morse works in the Mentors in Violence Prevention Program at the Vera House. He hopes to one day open his own shelter for LGBT youth and to create a safe space for them.

Frederick Morse Jr. spends his time as an educator, teaching students about topics that are normally hushed by society.

Morse, who works at Vera House, teaches students about themes such as alcohol and consent, heteronormativity and homophobia, sexual harassment, gender stereotypes and varying forms of abuse — key concepts of the Mentors in Violence Prevention Program. Morse mentors and teaches classes for the program at Liverpool High School, Manlius Pebble Hill School and Christian Brothers Academy.

“I enjoy being able to leave my desk and educate kids about something that they never opened their minds to before,” Morse said. “We do talk about topics that people don’t normally talk about, or they don’t realize that what they are doing or how they are acting could be controlled by what our society puts on them.”

The Mentors in Violence Prevention Program teaches students to be empowered bystanders. Morse said people may be afraid to draw attention to a situation or may not feel that it’s their responsibility, but teaches that people should take that responsibility.

“Don’t get yourself in the middle of it and in harm’s way, but you can call someone, call the cops or tell someone,” he said. “There’s always something to keep people safe.”

Morse said he hopes his work at the Vera House will help him launch his own shelter for LGBT youth and create a safe space for them because they can have difficulties finding privacy and shelter. He wants to serve young people who have run away, are homeless or have been affected by domestic violence.

While Vera House does cater to this group, Morse said there is always the chance that the shelter will be full and an individual may not get the care that is needed.

“(LGBT youth are) one of those things that is discussed but goes away quickly. I like being able to make it part of my everyday life and educate as many people as I can with it,” Morse said.