Thirsty Thursday

Thirsty Thursday: Founders Black Rye

Keegan Barber | Staff Photographer

Founders Black Rye is similar to dark IPAs, which have been rising in popularity over the last few years. Founders just released this beer in January to capitalize on that popularity.

I popped the cap on the Founders Black Rye on Super Bowl Sunday. I honestly didn’t expect the beer to live up to the excitement of the Seahawks–Patriots matchup that was captivating America.

Some of the well-known Founders beers have names like Curmudgeon Old Ale, Double Trouble and Devil Dancer, so I didn’t expect a name like Black Rye to pack a unique punch. However, I was immediately intrigued when I poured the beer into a glass and saw that it was black in color.

I love dark beers. I love how thick and frothy they can be, and I love the strong flavors. But this wasn’t what I expected upon taking my first sip. Firstly, it wasn’t frothy like other dark beers and it didn’t have the typical flavor that I expected. In fact, it tasted more like an India Pale Ale than a stout.

After a quick Google search, I learned that this beer is similar to a dark IPA, which have been rising in popularity over the last few years. Founders just released this beer in January to capitalize on that popularity.

Personally, I wasn’t a fan. While the beer is fairly complex, the rye and barley flavors tend to overpower what I like most about it — the grapefruit taste followed by a coffee-like finish. There’s a bitter, burnt flavor that lingers unpleasantly on the roof of my mouth.

But if you enjoy a good IPA, the Founders Black Rye might be the beer for you. It offers a different, yet familiar flavor that could appeal to you, and I recommend giving it a try before it goes off the shelves at the end of March.

Although I wasn’t the biggest fan of this beer, the bold and spicy flavors of my Buffalo wing dip and salsas balanced it out, making it a welcomed companion to my Super Bowl viewing party.