Tattoo Tuesday

Tattoo Tuesday: José Alvarez

Frankie Prijatel |Photo Editor

José Alvarez joined the fraternity Sigma Alpha Mu in last fall. He got the Greek letters tattooed on him five months later as a reminder of the strong brotherhood he formed.

José Alvarez has the Greek letters of his fraternity, Sigma Alpha Mu, tattooed on his chest. It’s a constant reminder of the brotherhood that the fraternity has provided him.

Alvarez, a junior biology major, became a brother of Sigma Alpha Mu in November 2013, and said he decided to get his tattoo about five months later.

“Getting a tattoo was something I had been wanting to do for awhile,” Alvarez said. “I felt like getting my letters was fit because of the attributes they’ve taught me and seeing that those attributes are something I want to follow for the rest of my life. They’re a simple representation for what I believe in.”

Alvarez said he did not come to college expecting to join a fraternity and was convinced by a friend to try it. Alvarez rushed his second semester of freshman year, but when things didn’t work out, rushed again his first semester of sophomore year.

Originally from California, Alvarez had never been to the East Coast before coming to Syracuse. Alvarez said he is incredibly close with his family, and his fraternity has helped make Syracuse his home away from home.

“I had never seen snow before, so it was just something completely new to me,” Alvarez said. “I now have that sense of home, that sense of family. It doesn’t necessarily make up for not being at home, but it’s something to replace it in the meantime.”

Alvarez said he felt that sense of family almost immediately after joining the fraternity.

“During the time when I was preparing to become a brother, back at home I was having some issues,” Alvarez said. “Sometimes I would be completely down and didn’t want to do anything, and my brothers could sense that, and they would always be there for me, asking me questions and asking if I’m good.”

He lives with eight of his fraternity brothers in an off-campus apartment and describes the brotherhood of his fraternity as its defining characteristic.

Said Alvarez: “We’re always there for each other. Anytime I’ve been in trouble, I know I could go up to any one of my brothers and talk it out.”