Meet Monday

Meet Monday: Dylan Lowther

Genevieve Pilch | Staff Photographer

Dylan Lowther discovered he wanted to major in communications after taking a gap year in Portland, Oregon to find himself. He now has a major in advertising.

Dylan Lowther received his first acceptance from Syracuse University in 2013. But instead of joining the class of 2017, he took a gap year in Portland, Oregon to figure out the direction he wanted his life to go in.

“You know that feeling when something’s about to happen, but you don’t feel like you’re ready for it?” said Lowther, now a freshman advertising major in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications.

Lowther said he was dealing with too much at the time to commit to attending college. Accumulated stress, an unclear mind and fear led to his decision to spend a year in Portland.

Despite the frustration of his family and friends who wanted him to attend any of the colleges that accepted him, Lowther felt confident in his choice. In Portland, he spent most of his time either volunteering at the original Meals on Wheels location or by himself.

He had a clear goal for the gap year — he wanted to develop his personality without influence from friends, family, society or an institution. He was also torn between sport management and communications, but said as his time in Portland progressed, he realized his passion was in communications.

“At one point, I came up with all these questions,” Lowther said. “I wanted to know more about all these subjects and then I realized — that’s exactly what college is. That’s the whole point of college.”

In early 2014, Lowther began the college application process once more. This time around, he enrolled in Newhouse.

“I really think everyone needs a year as a person where you’re not in an institution. At that point, you develop a taste,” Lowther said. “You need to learn how to be with yourself.”

Now, Lowther looks forward to his collegiate experience at SU.

“There were plenty of times that I wondered, ‘Wow, I don’t know if I’m ever going to make it to college,’” Lowther said. “Every day when I wake up I’m overwhelmed and grateful beyond belief.”