Beat writers predict Syracuse to beat Virginia Tech

Spencer Bodian | Staff Photographer

Syracuse barely beat Virginia Tech in the ACC opener in January. The beat writers don't think it'll be that close on Tuesday.

Phil D’Abbraccio (17-4): Syracuse 71, Virginia Tech 61
No more freebies
Virginia Tech still strokes it well from 3-point range — to the tune of the Atlantic Coast Conference’s third-best percentage — so its success from deep against SU the first time was no fluke. But the only reason the Hokies were a buzzer-beating 3 away from topping the Orange was because SU missed 10 second-half free throws. With the exception of Syracuse’s loss to Miami, SU’s been better than that from the charity stripe. No breakdown from that spot this time around will outweigh the fits Rakeem Christmas and Co. are going to cause for VT.

Jesse Dougherty (17-4): Syracuse 72, Virginia Tech 58
Not this time around
This is the same Virginia Tech team that Syracuse met in Blacksburg earlier in its conference schedule — unable to guard Rakeem Christmas and do much else but shoot the 3. Except this Orange team, which lost by 10 to North Carolina despite scoring 82 points eight days ago, has come a long way on the offensive end. That said, the Hokies won’t have a shot to come back in this one, even if it gets hot late in the second. This time, SU has a cushion worthy of sleeping on down the stretch.

Jacob Klinger (18-3): Syracuse 67, Virginia Tech 58
Technically poor
Virginia Tech can and will rain some 3s. They do it to the best teams in the conference and the country. But the Carrier Dome air isn’t kind to perimeter-dependent teams and the Hokies’ relationship with the 3-ball is like that of a freshman desperately hanging onto their long-distance significant other. VT’s bound to make the game close and uncomfortable before ultimately ending in heartbreak. Good for Syracuse, though.