Ice Hockey

Syracuse can’t complete late comeback in 4-2 loss to Penn State

Penn State scored three goals in the second period and held off Syracuse’s late comeback attempt to beat the Orange, 4-2, on Saturday.

With the loss, Syracuse (6-13-9, 4-5-5 College Hockey America) dropped to fourth place in the CHA standings and is five points behind Penn State (14-10-4, 8-4-2) for second place.

The first period ended scoreless with eight shots for each team, but in the second the Nittany Lions broke open the scoring.

Six and a half minutes into the period, after SU defender Akane Hosoyamada went to the box for high sticking, forward Hannah Hoenshell found the back of the net for Penn State on the power play. A minute later, PSU forward Laura Bowman beat SU goalie Jenn Gilligan to make it 2-0.

The Orange went on the penalty kill again after SU forward Melissa Piacentini was called for checking eight minutes into the period. This time, Penn State forward Hannah Bramm capitalized on the advantage, stretching the lead to three goals.

Syracuse’s comeback attempt started when SU forward Allie LaCombe scored with less than five minutes left in the second. With three minutes left in the third, SU forward Stephanie Grossi cut the lead to one goal off assists from Piacentini and forward Emily Costales.

Syracuse pulled its goalie with 1:15 to go in the game, but it only took Penn State seven seconds to cash in on the empty net and preserve the win.

The Orange will return to action at home on Friday to start a two-game series with Robert Morris.

Compiled by Jon Mettus, staff writer, [email protected]