From the Kitchen

Strong Hearts Cafe offers delicious vegan milkshakes, food

Jackie Barr | Staff Photographer

The “egg” trick muffin from Strong Hearts Cafe contains a tofu “egg” patty, tomato, jalapeños and avocado. As a 100 percent vegan cafe, Strong Hearts serves affordable, comfort food that is animal and earth friendly. The cafe has two locations — one in Marshall Square Mall and one on East Genesee Street.

In my least favorite newspaper writing class of all time, I learned one very valuable lesson from my professor: the No. 1 milkshake in Syracuse can be purchased at Strong Hearts Cafe.

This 100 percent vegan cafe can be found at two locations: in Marshall Square Mall and on East Genesee Street. Both cafes serve affordable comfort food that is animal and earth friendly, including salads, sandwiches, wraps and desserts.

After four years of milkshake experimentation in Syracuse, my professor’s lesson still seems as true as ever. Although the shakes from Gannon’s Isle Ice Cream do put up a good fight, there is something especially delicious about the super creamy and not-too-sickly-sweet Strong Hearts’ milkshake.

If you have a car, or if you are the kind of person who enjoys a 17-minute stroll, the cafe located on E. Genesee Street is worth the hike. Located three minutes down the street from Phoebe’s, it has a much more extensive menu and also offers seating and free Wi-Fi that the cafe on the hill doesn’t have — although that location does have a smoothie addition on its menu. It’s also a great place to study while enjoying bottomless coffee to which you can add a delicious soy creamer.

I was seated at a table by the window, sipping on a Muhammad Ali shake — all the milkshakes are named after people that have inspired the cafe with their “strong hearts” — made with Recess espresso, soy milk and coffee-flavored soy ice cream while waiting for my order.

And when I say waiting, I do mean waiting. To be fair, there did only appear to be three lovely staff members manning the entire cafe, which was bustling with all the tables occupied. But it took almost 35 minutes for my breakfast order of the Strong Hearts original “egg” trick muffin and grilled cheese sandwich with a side of potato chips to arrive.

I’m not sure if they were aging the tapioca-based fake cheese and harvesting the soybeans out back themselves to make my scrambled “eggs,” but my tummy was rumbling when they finally brought my meal to the table.

The “egg” trick muffin for $5 had a solid spiced tofu “egg” patty that, while it was chewier than a regular egg, was absolutely delicious. The menu suggested adding tomato, jalapeños and avocado for $0.75, but unless you have a refined palette for the spicier things in life, I would refrain from adding the jalapeños. The spice in the tofu was the perfect amount of kick so early in the morning. When it first arrived I thought I would still be hungry at the end, but this little muffin definitely tricked me on that initial theory.

The toasted English muffin was very dense, though a little dry on its own. Paired with the tofu, “sausage,” vegan cheese and added veggies, though, it was divine and left me completely stuffed in a satisfied, I-feel-healthy kind of way.
The grilled cheese recommended adding tomato for an extra $0.50, which of course I did. Next time I order this, I’m going to dare to be even more adventurous and add the recommended “veggie ham” for another $2.

This sandwich was toasted to cheesy heaven, although the cheese aspect was an interesting — but nevertheless fun — mouthful. It smelled and looked like aged cheddar, pulled apart in stringy tendons like real cheese, but had a bizarre texture — like a slippery piece of seaweed. The bread was crispy, the inside was gooey and the tomato added a familiar texture which helped alleviate the strangeness of my virgin vegan cheese experience.

I was so full after the milkshakes and breakfast that unfortunately I wasn’t able to squeeze in one of the divine-looking vegan chocolate cupcakes with tall chocolate frosted plumes made each morning. This is the kind of place that makes eating new kinds of food fun, delicious and exciting, and it’s something all food-lovers need to try sometime during their time at Syracuse University.