College of Arts and Sciences

Karin Ruhlandt named dean of the College of Arts and Sciences

Interim Vice Chancellor and Provost Liz Liddy announced Friday morning that Karin Ruhlandt has been selected as the next dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.

Liddy made the announcement in front of a crowd of faculty, staff, students and administrators who packed the Killian Room in Hall of Languages.

Ruhlandt first joined the Syracuse University faculty in 1993, and has served as the college’s interim dean since July 2014. A search for a permanent dean began in May 2014, five months after George Langford, dean of the college since 2008, announced he would step down to return to full-time teaching.

Liddy talked about several qualities that made Ruhlandt the best candidate for the job. She discussed her background as a scientist, and her experience as a teacher, as well as the work Ruhlandt did while serving as interim dean.

“I’ve had numerous conversations with Karin and I’m just so impressed with her,” Liddy said.

Liddy will recommend Ruhlandt to the Board of Trustees Executive Committee in February, and both Liddy and Chancellor Kent Syverud said they expect the committee to be “fully supportive” of the choice of the next dean.

Syverud thanked members of the search committee during the announcement, saying they had to overcome multiple challenges while finding a dean, including a new chancellor and a change in provost during the search.

In an interview following the announcement, Syverud said selecting Ruhlandt as dean is “a key appointment to the success of the whole university and student experience.” He added that he hopes Ruhlandt will help build an unrivaled College of Arts and Sciences, a goal Syverud discussed during his inauguration speech last April.