From the Calendar

Comedian Nick Griffin headlines at Funny Bone Comedy Club at Destiny USA

Courtesy of Peter Nordahl-Hansen

nick griffin began his stand-up comedy career at the age of 19. He has gained national recognition for his performances on the Late Show with David Letterman, TBS’s the Conan Show and the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson.

Comedian Nick Griffin will be performing at the Funny Bone Comedy Club from Jan 15–18. The show is restricted to those 21 and over, and ticket prices vary on the night.

The Syracuse branch of the Funny Bone Comedy Club is located in Destiny USA and hosts comedians from all over the country. The comedy club has brought A-List comedians to the public for over 30 years — Jerry Seinfeld, Tim Allen, Drew Carey, Jim Breuer, Gabriel Iglesias, Ellen DeGeneres and Dave Chappelle.

Griffin’s stand-up talents have been featured on “The Late Show with David Letterman” and on “The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson.”

Griffin describes his comedic style as “a classic stand-up comic, not a lot of tricks, no props. Just a lot of really strong jokes.” He began his stand-up comedy career at the age of 19 and has come a long way since his first ever encounter with stand-up comedy.

“I was underage drinking in a bar in Kansas City, and they had an open mic night. My friends talked me into going on stage,” Griffin said. “I did just OK, but I really connected to the other young comics. They were funny and angry and irreverent and all that appealed to me.”

Although Griffin has gained national success, his perception of what makes a successful comedian still remains humble.

“That’s for every comedian to figure out on his own,” Griffin said. “Like any job, you wish you were further along, making more money, sleeping with supermodels, but if you’re getting on stage every week, every night, whatever and just trying to be yourself, you’re way ahead of the game.”

In regards to the future, Griffin envisions himself writing screenplays for horror movies. He hopes to continue to write stand-up and keep spreading laughter for everyone.

Bert Borth, manager of the Funny Bone, said Griffin is one of his favorite acts because he has a very funny, observational humor. Borth said he was very excited to welcome Griffin as this week’s headliner.

“Stand-up comedy is a very personal thing,” Borth said. “Each comic has their own worldview and take on modern life.”

Students can expect lots of laughs from this show while enjoying a few beers from the Funny Bone’s full-service bar. Most shows usually run around 90–100 minutes in length and feature an emcee, opening or middle act and final headliner.

“Almost all of the headliners have credits ranging from appearances on late-night TV and Comedy Central to podcasts and movie roles,” Borth said. “The Funny Bone has a full bar and restaurant menu with service provided throughout the show.”

Borth said the show is different in that Griffin is a very strong comedy writer and relies on a lot of verbal wit.
“Other acts may do more physical comedy or musical comedy — it really runs the gamut,” Borth said.

Griffin’s style of comedy depends on the content of his jokes, rather than utilizing external resources for his shows, he said. Griffin has a more straightforward approach with his comedy, which allows the audience to focus entirely on what he is saying.

In Griffin’s words, students can expect a night filled with “a lot of laughs, a few drinks, one trip to the bathroom and a safe ride home.”