Beat writers forecast Syracuse to narrowly defeat Georgia Tech

Logan Reidsma | Asst. Photo Editor

Syracuse is coming off the heels of a game which it nearly blew, and will now try and improve to 2-0 in ACC play on Wednesday night against Georgia Tech.

Phil D’Abbraccio (12-2): Syracuse 64, Georgia Tech 59
No jacket required
Syracuse’s offense took a step back in the second half at Virginia Tech, and although those struggles may carry over the Orange’s defense will stifle the Yellow Jackets into a poor offensive showing. GT’s heavy bigs pose a challenge to SU down low. But Rakeem Christmas’ resurgence continues and Chris McCullough will have to use his length to overcome them as the Orange comes away with a road victory and a 2-0 start to Atlantic Coast Conference play.

Jesse Dougherty (12-2): Syracuse 71, Georgia Tech 66
Orange jacket
In Georgia Tech’s only conference game, the Yellow Jackets took Notre Dame to the brink before falling in double overtime. GT loses to Syracuse in regulation, despite leading in the second half and capitalizing on the Orange’s poor outside shooting for much of the contest. Georgia Tech is arguably the best rebounding team SU will face to this point of the season, but the frontcourt doesn’t need second-chance points to take control of the game when it matters most. Rakeem Christmas squares off with the Yellow Jackets bigs and its the holiday season for at least one more day.

Jacob Klinger (12-2): Syracuse 61, Georgia Tech 55
Back to school
This won’t be pretty. Georgia Tech is playing its first game on campus since classes resumed and will host Syracuse with a whiteout. More to the point, expect a long string of scrambles for loose balls and rebounds as a pair of frontcourt-dependent teams struggle from the perimeter before a Trevor Cooney-led SU backcourt gets it together for a crucial couple minutes late. Note: Chris McCullough has to be a factor tonight.