Syracuse quarterback Kimble reportedly intends to transfer

Margaret Lin | Photo Editor

Syracuse quarterback Mitch Kimble reportedly plans to transfer after this semester.

Syracuse sophomore quarterback Mitch Kimble intends to transfer after this semester, Dan Tortora of Dan Tortora Broadcast Media reported late Thursday afternoon.

Illinois State, Eastern Illinois and Western Illinois are among the schools that he is considering transferring to, Kimble told The Post-Standard. Kimble, a Jerseyville, Illinois native, would not have to sit out the 2015 season if he transferred to one of those three programs, which are part of the Football Championship Subdivision.

If he transfers to a Football Bowl Subdivision program, he would be ineligible for next season due to NCAA regulations and he would have two years of eligibility remaining.

His departure would reduce the amount of scholarship quarterbacks on the Orange’s roster to three — Terrel Hunt, AJ Long and Austin Wilson. But SU expects 2014 signee Alin Edouard to enroll in January and Class of 2015 commit Eric Dungey is expected to sign with Syracuse in February to bolster the signal-calling group.

Fourth on the depth chart heading into the season, Kimble played in three games this year as part of the revolving door of Syracuse quarterbacks. In SU’s 27-10 loss to then-No. 22 Duke on Nov. 8, he rushed for 42 yards and a touchdown but completed just six out of 13 passes for a total of 37 yards.