Sex & Health

Silvarole: Sex-Esteem provides open environment, discussion

“Sex Pictionary” is probably the most fun game I’ve played in a while.

As a guest at one of Sex-Esteem’s weekly meetings on Nov. 14, I had the chance to learn about the group and play “Sex Pictionary,” a game derived from Pictionary that uses terms related to sex and sexual health.

The game is one of many creative discussion tools used by the members of Sex-Esteem, a peer sexuality organization from the Office of Health Promotion. It provides a safe space to discuss sexuality as a whole, as a part of your life and your identity.

With the debate around the closing of the Advocacy Center and the changes to campus sexual health resources, we’re forgetting about some of the programs we already have. Sex-Esteem is one of those resources.

During Sex-Esteem’s weekly meeting, members talk about various topics prompted by Sexual and Relationship Violence Prevention Coordinator Jill Sneider, who runs the program. At the start of each semester, Sex-Esteem is open to all students. As the members develop relation-ships and trust, the organization becomes a private zone that respects the intimacy of its participants and their discussions.

Aside from their personal group meetings, the members of Sex-Esteem also engage the cam-pus community through programs like “Sex Jeopardy,” “It’s Your Sex Life, Own It” and “Pizza and Sex: What do they have in Common?”

“Even after that first meeting, I realized that this group makes you think a lot about yourself,” said Samantha McAllister, a senior psychology during the group meeting on Nov. 14.

The members of Sex-Esteem this semester — comprised of about 15 students — all agreed that the safe, intimate space is what makes them feel comfortable discussing just about any-thing.

Nyasia Stephens, a senior math and family studies double major, said she joined to learn more about herself, but she loves that her friends who aren’t in the group now come to her for advice.

“I’m educated to better help my friends,” Stephens said. “You should be able to talk to your friends.”

Sex-Esteem’s core value is behind promoting “sex positivity” — a way of rethinking sexuality and opening up discussions in a judgment-free zone. “It’s your sex life — own it” is a phrase that’s frequently repeated in the group.

Having a positive attitude regarding sex is vital to being able to facilitate meaningful discussions about it. In addition, having different views and being able to convey them while respecting others is just as important when it comes to fostering sex education. It’s more than just sex. It’s finding out what you like and how you can be true to yourself and your personal values.

At Sex-Esteem, talking about sexual experiences, identities and lifestyles happens in a positive, learning atmosphere. It’s somewhere to belong in a world where sexuality is not deeply under-stood by everyone.

“It’s sad, actually, that so many people don’t know how they feel,” said Emily LoBraico, a member of Sex-Esteem and a senior psychology and ethics double major.

The uplifting environment that Sex-Esteem offers is unique — openly talking about sex is not a universal concept, but just about everyone on this planet will engage in sexual behaviors, whether it’s on their own or with someone else.

“It’s really amazing to see just how much we can do,” said Tania Nsouli, a senior computer engineering major. “The more I’m a part of this club, the more I’m in love with it.”

Sex-Esteem provides an environment that fosters growth and teaches you how to love yourself. And as fun as “Sex Pictionary” is, Sex-Esteem is so much more than that.

Georgie Silvarole is a sophomore newspaper and online journalism major. Her column appears weekly. You can reach her at [email protected] or on Twitter at @gsilvarole.