Work Wednesday

Work Wednesday: Dominick Valentino

Erin Carter | Contributing Photographer

Dominick Valentino has worked for SU Food Services for 13 years. Valentino has trouble reading and writing but doesn’t know exactly what disability he has.

Dominick Valentino considers his job at Ernie Davis Dining Center to be the most important thing in his life.

“If I didn’t have a job, where would I be?” Valentino asked.

Originally from Syracuse, Valentino graduated high school in 1990 and joined Monarch, an agency that helps find employment opportunities for individuals with disabilities. Valentino said his job coach brought him to Syracuse University Food Services, where he has worked for the past 13 years.

“I needed help. If it wasn’t for him, I would not have this job,” Valentino said.

As someone with disabilities, Valentino said it’s difficult to find job opportunities because he struggles to perform some skills, such as reading and writing. He doesn’t know exactly what disability he has.

“I don’t know what you call it,” Valentino said. “I need extra help.”

Although this job is the most important thing in his life, Valentino said it bears many challenges.

As one of the most prominent dining centers on campus, Ernie attracts over 1000 students each night, many of them without proper identification. Valentino said he tries to encourage students to bring their ID cards to ease some of the friction during rush hour.

“Every time I say (it). Every time. And it doesn’t work. I could be talking to that wall, and no one will hear me,” he said.

Valentino said he felt like he was being ignored often and referenced experiences when drunken students would leave their dishes out for him to take care of.

“But it’s good,” he said. “When I go home, I calm down.”

Valentino is now able to drive himself home after he received his driver’s license through an oral test. His mother read the questions aloud, and his uncle taught him to drive. When he passed after his first attempt, he proudly brought the license to show to a former high school teacher who had once discouraged him.

Receiving his license also means he can drive himself to work each day until retirement.

“I’ve lasted 13 years,” Valentino said, “Another 13 years and you never know. I don’t know where I’m going to be.”

In the Nov. 12 article “Work Wednesday,” Dominick Valentino’s name was misspelled. The Daily Orange regrets this error.