Men's Soccer

Verbal commit Gomez looks to replace Murrell at left defense next season

Jordan Murrell has started all 70 games he’s played in his Syracuse career, only missing two over four years.

And when the left-sided defender graduates after this year, there will be a void at a position head coach Ian McIntyre hasn’t had to worry about for the past four seasons.

Enter Chris Gomez.

Ranked 21st among high school seniors by College Soccer News, Gomez, like Murrell, is a left defender with a knack for advancing into the attacking third. SU’s top verbal commit brings a near carbon copy of one of Syracuse’s best players — both height-wise and with his playing style — and the Jamison, Pennsylvania native is expected to fill the shoes of a four-year starter right when he steps on campus.

“I talked to Mac about it with my parents and he expects me to come in 100-percent ready to just contribute to the team right away,” Gomez said. “I’m looking to come in right away and have a starting spot.”

Murrell ranks third on the team in points with 10 and has contributed six assists, which is tied for fourth in the Atlantic Coast Conference. The senior has not only been an integral part of an SU defense that posted 11 shutouts in 17 regular season games, but also a key contributor to the attack.

Though McIntyre shifted to a three-back system this year, wing backs Murrell and Tyler Hilliard still have a tendency to get forward. They just also have to track back when necessary since there isn’t a second center back to slide over and fill a gap.

“He’s that type of person that’s always getting forward,” said Jalil Blalock, a teammate of Gomez’s on Philadelphia Union’s Academy team. “…  Always has a work rate and doesn’t rely on others to get back for him and gets back for himself.”

Only two freshmen — Julian Buescher and Danny Apajee — have played for SU this year, with Buescher playing almost all of every match and Apajee getting brief minutes in two games. Gomez, though, may be ready to take on a role more along the lines of Buescher’s with his prior experience.

He said he’s had plenty of high-level time, not only with his PDA team, but also with the United States Under-18 national team, with whom he’s been traveling out of the country for a while now, he said.

“I have a lot of experience under my belt,” Gomez said. “I feel a little bit of pressure but I’m 100 percent confident in myself, I’ll be able to get the job done.”

Taking the spot of Murrell will be no light task, but Syracuse may have found a first-year player capable of doing so.

Associate head coach Jukka Masalin has touched on the benefits of a 14-win regular season, one of which includes attracting five of College Soccer News’ Top-150 players in the class of 2015.

“We’re gonna add a couple exciting ones for next year,” Masalin said.

The Orange’s top addition, though, is primed to fill the spot of a constant that Syracuse fans have become accustomed to.

Said Gomez: “Obviously having Jordan leave is a big loss so I’m looking to come in and jump right in.”