Student Association

SU community attends forum, discusses concerns with workgroup

Frankie Prijatel | Asst. Photo Editor

Terry McConnell, a professor on the Undergraduate Excellence Workgroup, takes notes during a forum held Monday night in Maxwell Auditorium. Members of the SU community were able to share concerns about SU with members of the workgroup.

Several associate deans, professors and undergraduate students from the Undergraduate Excellence Focus Group joined assembly members of the Student Association on Monday to discuss concerns about education and life at Syracuse University.

The undergraduate focus group is part of Fast Forward Syracuse, a strategic planning process started by Chancellor Kent Syverud to restructure and improve SU. The group was designed to identify and create resolutions to issues students face on and off campus.

Julie Hasenwinkel, associate dean of the College of Engineering and Computer Science and a member of the focus group, began the meeting with a presentation about what the group wants to accomplish. According to the group’s presentation, its long-term goals are to improve the quality of the undergraduate experience, prepare students for their careers and foster strong relations between alumni and the university.

During Monday’s meeting, the group’s goals were “to listen, to encourage everyone to have a voice and to collect meaningful input from students.” Students were divided into seven groups to discuss academics and transitions, intersections between students and the quality of student life. A member of the undergraduate focus group led each discussion and recorded concerns brought up by the students.

The groups that discussed academics and transitions emphasized the importance of making it easier for students to double major in colleges that may not have established partnerships.

Assembly member Nicole Sherwood said it is difficult for her to pursue her ideal majors because “there isn’t a partnership between Newhouse and VPA.”

Other issues brought up in the academic discussions included the lack of class sections, the complexity of connecting with student advisers and the need for a more central student center.

Students from the two groups about intersections talked about how effectively SU embraces ethnic, racial and socioeconomic diversity.

“I think Syracuse does an OK job of trying to be diverse, but I don’t think we’re all integrated … people really stick to their cliques,” said Kerlyne Gai, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences.

“You can’t teach diversity. It has to happen naturally,” said Henry Hokura, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Proposed methods of fostering diversity included a mandatory forum for freshmen that will promote the importance of working with people from different backgrounds and more action by residence advisers to unite students. Students acknowledged that learning communities and Orange After Dark encourage students to socialize and befriend people from different backgrounds.

Danielle Reed, a junior and member of THE General Body, lived in the Multicultural Living Community her freshman year.

“If I hadn’t lived on that floor, I probably would’ve gotten a total different perception of Syracuse,” Reed said. “Just being a student of color at a predominately white university, opening up spaces and having residence halls encourages students of different backgrounds to talk to each other.”

To improve the quality of life at SU, students suggested making transfers feel more comfortable and incorporated on campus, increasing sexual assault awareness and incorporating education and teaching skills that are relevant to life in the real world.