Pop Culture

Kelly: Seinfeld should include more Internet stars in web series

Comedian Jerry Seinfeld’s web series “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee” will begin its fifth season Thursday. The show features Seinfeld picking up comedic legends in a classic car, taking them to grab coffee and proceeding to have a pleasant conversation. Unlike other web series made by unknowns with a DIY mentality, “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee” is done by professionals who have been around the block more than a few times.

The show airs on Crackle, a site which prides itself on creating programs of TV caliber for the web. Because of the show’s star quality it pulls in plenty of viewers, but it hasn’t really done anything innovative to wow its audience. It hasn’t progressed over its five seasons or adapted to best attract online viewers. That could change, however.

For the first time Seinfeld is welcoming a web star. This season “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee” will host the popular YouTube persona Miranda Sings. This is a step in the right direction, but Seinfeld still has leaps and bounds ahead of him in order to be fully integrated into the web-based community.

“Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee” has featured comedy paragons such as Larry David, Ricky Gervais, David Letterman, Don Rickles, Tina Fey, Louis C.K., Jon Stewart and many more. In the same vein of his 90s sitcom, “Seinfeld,” this web series is about nothing. It’s largely unscripted, excluding the shameless product placement bit in every episode (thanks, Acura) and looks like two friends going out to grab coffee.

Compared to other web series made by people who are trying to get on TV, “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee” is a low stakes venture for Seinfeld. He doesn’t need this show — it’s a fun side project for him. He gets paid to drive a fancy car and take his friends out to coffee. You have to hand it to him, it’s a pretty nice gig. But it’s still no excuse for the stagnant series. Seinfeld is resting on his laurels and status as an American icon to draw in the viewers. If he really wants to try something new and appeal to a new audience — the kind that’s online — he should be highlighting other web celebrities. His time would be better spent attaching his big name to lesser heard of comedians and helping them get a foot in the door rather than just goofing around with his A-list pals.

By Seinfeld bringing Miranda Sings on “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee” he’s giving her exposure to a new audience and embracing the online creator community. Not to mention the out of the loop, egotistical, lipstick-loving internet character will bring an influx of young viewers. Her YouTube channel has more than 2 million subscribers who regularly tune in to videos that feature Miranda obsessing over her boyfriends, giving advice to her Mirfandas and displaying her vocal talent. Seinfeld featuring Miranda will pay off for both comedians. She gets a publicity boost, and he gets exposure to a new audience that will consume his web content.

It would be progressive and delightful to see a mix of both TV and YouTube stars on his show, such as having former “Seinfeld” co-star Julie Louis-Dreyfus and Internet personality Grace Helbig get a spot on season six.

It’s a shame that it has taken Seinfeld so long to accept an online celebrity, but hopefully Miranda Sings will only be the first of many. Seinfeld’s name recognition and established career could make his web series a rite of passage for young comedians and help bridge the gap between TV and YouTube.

Erin G. Kelly is a senior broadcast and digital journalism major. Her column appears weekly. She can be reached at [email protected].