Health Services

Great American Smokeout to be held Thursday, encourage SU community to quit smoking

As Syracuse University prepares to become a tobacco-free campus in July, the university is holding an event to help people quit smoking

The Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs is organizing the Great American Smokeout event on Thursday. The event is put on by the American Cancer Society to encourage people to make a plan to quit or to plan in advance to quit smoking. The event is held on the third Thursday of November each year.

SU will become a tobacco-free campus on July 1, 2015. The university will begin a phased approach to implement a tobacco-free campus for the 2015–16 academic year. By July 1, 2015, tobacco products or any products simulating tobacco smoking will be banned on campus, including outdoor spaces. The policy also includes the ban of tobacco industry sponsored events both on and off campus.

“This year is much more emphasized because of the upcoming policy that will be in place,” said Amy Hong, a public health student and Health Services intern who’s been planning the event.

Hong said she has been planning the event since the beginning of the semester.

In addition to the event, SU will be offering free support groups to help students, faculty and staff quit smoking and will be offered starting January 2015.

Currently about 43 million Americans smoke cigarettes, which is about one in every five adults, according to the Great American Smokeout website. About one-third of college students use tobacco products, according to research from the Harvard School of Public Health.

In the past, the university has celebrated the smokeout event simply by giving out information and pamphlets about the harmful effects of smoking.

The turkey sandwich coupons are for a free turkey sandwich and can be received by signing the banner supporting the new policy. If an attendee chooses not to sign the banner, they can get a coupon for a dollar off a turkey sandwich. Both of these coupons are only valid in the Schine food court.

Correction: In the Nov. 20 article “Great American Smokeout to be held Thursday, encourage SU community to quit smoking” The Lerner Center’s role in the Great American Smokeout was inaccurate. The center not organizing any events for the Great American Smokeout and is not tabling in Schine. The Daily Orange regrets these errors.