Freshman Minott looks to build on flashes of potential against Vermont

When Danielle Minott checked in to Syracuse’s game against Jacksonville on Nov. 22, the freshman guard had no points, no steals and one rebound in just six minutes played over two games.

Syracuse led 9-3 at the 16:40 mark of the first half, and in 2:33 of playing time, Minott hit a jumper and picked up both an offensive and defensive rebound.

The short spell was a microcosm of Minott’s ability and athleticism, and a glimpse at why some Syracuse players see Minott as a mini Brittney Sykes.

On Monday at 7 p.m., Minott and No. 22 Syracuse (4-1) return home for a game against Vermont (0-5). With Sykes still recovering from a torn right ACL and the Orange playing an inferior opponent, Minott will likely see her first extended minutes in the Carrier Dome.

“When (Danielle) starts to figure out what we’re trying to do on the floor, she’s going to be explosive for us,” Syracuse head coach Quentin Hillsman said, after Minott played just four minutes against Fordham on Nov. 16.

“Like I told you last year about (then-freshman guard) Alexis Peterson, trust me, Danielle Minott’s next. She’s a very good player, and she’s going to help us.”

While Minott sees limited action behind a guard rotation of Peterson, Cornelia Fondren, Diamond Henderson and Maggie Morrison, the Miami Country Day (Florida) School product has shown flashes and versatility in limited action.

Against Jacksonville, Minott played a season-high 15 minutes and scored five points, grabbed three rebounds and came up with two steals while playing a wing position in SU’s 2-3 zone.

As a sophomore in high school, Minott led Parkway (Florida) Academy to the Class-3A state championship game, but the Panthers lost by 15 to P.K. Yonge. Minott then transferred to Miami Country Day, where the Spartans reached the state title game.

As a senior, Minott’s annual appearance in a state title game looked doubtful. The Spartans had a series of injuries early in the year, and the team went through what head coach Ochiel Swaby called a “gauntlet” schedule with a rotation of only six players.

“But she carried us,” Swaby said. “When we walked out of the gym, everyone wanted to know who this kid was. Who’s D. Minott? Who is this kid? I had college coaches at major schools say, ‘How did we miss this kid?’”

Minott led the Spartans to a 26-3 record and the school’s first state championship, in any sport, in its 75-year history.

“I guess the third time was just meant to be,” Minott said. “I just had this mentality that I didn’t want to lose three times, ended my high school career right and start my college career on a good note.”

Swaby said that he was “amazed” with Minott’s raw strength and elevation on her jump shot. He also praised her leaping and rebounding ability and said she was as strong as most high school players he’d seen.

But with four experienced guards in front of her now, Minott will continue to adjust to only receiving sporadic playing time and make the most of her opportunities.

“She has to go through that adjustment period,” Swaby said. “But once she gets her confidence back up and she’s feeling good about herself again, her true talent and her skill set will come to the forefront.”