Fast reaction: 3 thoughts from Syracuse’s loss to Boston College in final game of season

Logan Reidsma / Staff Photographer

Syracuse got beat up in every sense of the word during its season-ending 28-7 loss to Boston College.

CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. — Syracuse (3-9, 1-7 Atlantic Coast) finished its season on an unceremonious note with a 28-7 loss to Boston College (7-5, 4-4) at Alumni Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

And while the Orange won’t play a regular-season game until the start of the 2015 season, here are three final postgame reactions for a season that ended with nine losses in the last 10 games.

1. Low clarity

Syracuse has said in the last few weeks that it is using the end of the season to get a good look at its younger core.

A focal point of that approach has been its three young quarterbacks, including freshman AJ Long and sophomores Austin Wilson and Mitch Kimble. But against the Eagles, Long was the only one to play meaningful snaps.

With SU’s desired offensive line in front of him, Long threw just six times in the first half and completed one pass. His next attempt came on the second play of the second half and was thrown right into the arms of Boston College linebacker Mike Strizak.

By that point, it was clear that Syracuse’s last real look at its young quarterbacks before the spring wouldn’t be much of a look at all.

2. Sticking to their guns

A Syracuse.com article on Thursday recognized that senior offensive guard Jesse Wolf-Gould hadn’t taken a snap in his college career entering Saturday’s game.

By the third quarter, the Twitter world starting lobbying for playing time — if only a snap — for Wolf-Gould. A snap never came, and Wolf-Gould finished his career without every touching the field in an actual game.

The Orange trailed by at least two touchdowns for the entire fourth quarter.

3. Insult to injury

There isn’t much to say here except that Tyler Rouse — a Baldwinsville, New York native that Syracuse passed up on — took a fourth-quarter handoff 42 yards for a touchdown and 28-7 Boston College lead.

The Orange’s running backs haven’t ran for a touchdown since SU opened its season against Villanova on Aug. 29. One of those came on the first score of Syracuse’s season, a 65-yard touchdown run from Prince-Tyson Gulley.

The last score in an SU game this season fittingly came from a player that grew up playing in its own backyard, and reportedly told he was too small to play for the Orange.