Fast reaction: 3 quick takeaways from Syracuse’s ugly loss at Pittsburgh

Margaret Lin | Photo Editor

SU running back Prince-Tyson Gulley is dragged down by Pittsburgh defensive back Ryan Lewis.

PITTSBURGH — Syracuse (3-8, 1-6 Atlantic Coast) fell to Pittsburgh, (5-6, 3-4) 30-7, at Heinz Field on Saturday evening. The Panthers kept their bowl hopes alive while the Orange sank further into irrelevancy, and here are three takeaways from the game.

1. That’s the goal

Syracuse has been trying to punch the ball into the end zone all season, and finally did so on Saturday. But instead of Prince-Tyson Gulley, Adonis Ameen-Moore or another one of SU’s five running backs, it was defensive tackle Ron Thompson clawing for the plane on third down.

It was the Orange’s only touchdown of the game — bringing SU within 10 with 11:04 left in the third — and just the third time this season that a non-quarterback rushed for an SU score. Thompson’s plunge tied him with Gulley and Ameen-Moore with one on the season, and it was also the first time a non-quarterback rushed into the end zone since Syracuse’s season opener against Villanova on Aug. 29.

At the onset of the season, the Orange’s five-running back rotation was a perceived offensive strength. But Thompson’s touchdown just about says it all.

2. Silver lining

Steve Ishmael.

If there’s anything Syracuse can leave the Steel City with, it’s an encouraging performance in a game where encouraging performances were few and far between.

Ishmael finished with 6 catches for 97 yards, providing a reliable target for freshman quarterback AJ Long. On Syracuse’s lone scoring drive, Ishmael caught an 11-yard pass on third down and then a 46-yard pass that ultimately set up Thompson’s touchdown run.

In the fourth quarter, Ishmael caught a 15-yard pass but was flagged for a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty right after. But that was just a small gaffe in an otherwise solid performance.

3. Empty Heinz

Aside from a spirited singing of “Sweet Caroline” at the start of the fourth quarter, the Pittsburgh crowd was thin and quiet on Saturday. Taking weather, Thanksgiving and the magnitude of the game, you can’t blame the Panther faithful for not turning out in droves.

But Pitt running back James Conner — before leaving the game with an injury — set an ACC single-season record and tied a longstanding Pittsburgh record with his 22nd rushing touchdown of the season. It was also senior day, and just about no one was around to see.

Some of the largest cheers of the game came when Pittsburgh kicker Chris Blewitt silenced Twitter and narrowly hit two field goals. And they were sarcastic.

Pittsburgh has a great venue in Heinz Field, but that didn’t turn into any support with the less-than-excitable Orange in town.