Letters to the Editor

Administration attempts to undermine cause, intimidate students

I write this letter from the uncomfortable brick floor of Crouse-Hinds Hall, as the classrooms that we normally have access to have been locked to those of us sitting-in here.

The locked classrooms are just one example of how the administration has misdirected their energy in so-called efforts to end the sit-in that has been occurring at Crouse-Hinds Hall since the Rally for Diversity and Transparency on Monday. The rally and the sit-in are meant to highlight the numerous basic needs and services that are not provided for students. These include adequate mental health care and sexual assault response, which are necessary on a college campus. The university has appointed Bea Gonzalez, dean of University College, to facilitate negotiations between our group and the administration. We are open and willing to have these negotiations.

Yet, we are constantly reminded that the administration is unhappy with us for voicing our concerns in this manner. A heavy DPS presence in the one space in which we are allowed to remain makes us uncomfortable and unsafe; these officers have been using intimidation tactics and randomly enforcing arbitrary rules, lest we forget their power over us. This effort spent terrorizing us could instead be directed towards collaboration on achieving the end of the sit-in.

In their attempt to paint us as nothing but disruptive students, the administration’s news updates contain inflammatory language that is meant to make us seem uncooperative. They are in fact the uncooperative party. This first became evident when Gonzalez offered to grant only three minor demands contingent on the end of the sit-in. It is becoming apparent that the administration is prolonging the sit-in by refusing to have action-based discussions that move towards an agreeable solution for both parties. Instead, they focus their efforts on scare tactics, attempting to drive us out so that they will not need to concede anything.

They ought to realize the incredible intelligence and passion of this group. We are not disruptive. We are Coronat Scholars, Remembrance Scholars, honors students and presidents of student organizations. Our passion for our studies, our University and our fellow students, drives our passion for this sit-in. We recognize the importance of these issues and will not concede our space until we achieve significant progress. We are not here for comfort; rather, we are here to improve the university that we love.

Emma Edwards
Geography and Policy Studies
Class of 2015
Member of THE General Body