Recruiting

3-star Robinson explains decommitment from Syracuse

Gerald Robinson didn’t think Syracuse was holding up its end of the bargain.

“I felt that they should have been calling me once a week,” Robinson said in a text message to The Daily Orange on Wednesday.

Instead, Robinson said, the Orange texted him once a month and he decommitted from Syracuse’s Class of 2015 on Wednesday morning. The three-star cornerback from Champagnat Catholic (Florida) High School attributed the change in attention from SU to the Oct. 4 demotion of wide receivers coach George McDonald, who was his main recruiter and the team’s offensive coordinator when Robinson pledged to the Orange in April.

Robinson did say that Syracuse is still very much in the picture of schools he is considering.

“After everything was going on with Coach McDonald, it seems like some coaches started falling back from me,” Robinson said in a text message. “They knew he would have an impact on the Florida guys.

“But he’s not the reason, I’m just weighing out my options.”

Robinson is the fourth member of the class to back out of his verbal commitment. Four-star cornerback Davante Davis decommitted in May and three-star outside linebackers Daiquan Kelly and Doyle Grimes decommitted in September.

Since Aug. 25, SU has lost three verbal commits and gained none. And while that — along with Syracuse’s 3-6 record —  may make the program less attractive, Robinson said those factors didn’t affect his decision.

“If that was the case, Syracuse would not be in the mix no more,” he said in a text.

Robinson added that Syracuse is No. 2 on his current list, and that there is no definitive No. 1. He has other offers on the table from Cincinnati, Kentucky, Central Florida and Utah, according to Scout.com.

Robinson, though saying McDonald’s demotion contributed to his decreased contact with the SU coaching staff, maintained that he just wanted to take a step back to make sure he chooses the right place.

“Me and my family just wanted to weigh out my decisions to make sure I make the best choice,” Robinson said in a text. “Syracuse will always be on my mind.”