Red solo cup project appears on Euclid, aims to bring awareness to alcohol culture at SU

Renee Zhou | Asst. Photo Editor

An art installation made of red solo cups appeared on Euclid Avenue this weekend to raise awareness about party culture at Syracuse University.

An art installation made of red solo cups appeared this weekend on the corner of Ackerman and Euclid Avenues.

The collection of red solo cups formed two piles, with one on each side of the sidewalk. A pathway of flattened cups was created between the two piles, resembling a bridge. Next to the statue was a sign with the twitter handle @redcupproject.

The purpose of the installation is to raise awareness about both the party culture at Syracuse University and the fact that red solo cups are not recyclable, said Leslie Baz, an architecture student, in an email to The Daily Orange. Three more red solo cup sculptures will appear on or near campus this week, according to the twitter account of @redcupproject.

Residents in the Euclid neighborhood walked through the red solo cup pathway or avoided it all together. Natalie Rebeyev, a senior biology major who lives on Ackerman Avenue, said she walked across the street instead of walking through the statue when she first saw it this afternoon.

“I didn’t know if I was allowed to walk on it,” she said.

Shane Hartnett, a senior forest resources management major who lives in the neighborhood, said he was impressed by the statue’s accurate portrayal of a weekend on Euclid Avenue.

“First I thought it was a bunch of litter, and now I think it’s kind of cool,” he said.