Men's Soccer

No. 4 Syracuse’s undefeated week gives chance to grab nation’s top ranking

By the time the National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll is released Tuesday afternoon, Syracuse could be in the top spot.

This past week, the No. 4 Orange (11-1, 4-1 Atlantic Coast) won both its games, posting a 2-1 win against Albany on Tuesday and a 3-1 victory over Wake Forest on Friday. No. 1 Washington tied its only game of the week, a 1-1 overtime draw against No. 23 Oregon State on Sunday. No. 2 UCLA lost in overtime to California, 3-2, on Friday and No. 3 Penn State was blown out by Maryland on Sunday by a 4-0 score.

SU is almost guaranteed at least the No. 2 ranking with two of the top three teams losing, but Syracuse could jump up to No. 1 if the NSCAA poll voters determine a 2-0 week for the Orange is more impressive than a one-tie week for Washington.

In the NCAA RPI rankings, Washington is No. 1 and Syracuse is No. 2. In the TopDrawerSoccer.com poll, the Huskies are No. 1 and the Orange No. 3, and the two will likely be Nos. 1 and 2 when TopDrawer’s unofficial national poll is released Monday morning.

Syracuse already has its highest-ever ranking in program history, but it will have to wait until Tuesday’s NSCAA poll to find out if it will officially receive the nation’s top spot.