The Homecoming: Former Syracuse tackle Bromley relishes chance to play for hometown Giants, restore once-dominant defensive line

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Jay Bromley didn’t have to look far to find defensive linemen to look up to.

As the developing defensive lineman grew up in the Jamaica neighborhood of Queens, New York, the New York Giants consistently had some of the best pass-rushers in the NFL. His personal favorite was defensive end Osi Umenyiora.

“I loved the D-line of that whole team,” Bromley said. “The inside guys, outside guys, the pressure they put on the quarterback. They just caused havoc.

“Defensive linemen have been the root and the foundation of this defense for years.”

But after finishing in the NFL’s Top 10 in team sacks 11 times in the last 20 years, the Giants’ ability to terrorize opposing quarterbacks hasn’t been the same. With the 10th pick in the third round of the 2014 NFL Draft, the Giants made an investment for their future with Bromley. They also added to the Syracuse culture — rejoining Bromley with Ryan Nassib and Justin Pugh — within the franchise in hopes he’ll help the team’s defensive line rediscover its glory days.

“I believe I can be a presence to help stop the run and I believe hopefully I’ll get an opportunity to show what I can do on third down,” Bromley said during Giants training camp in July. “But everything comes with time. I’m not in a rush to make anything crazy happen.

“I just want to be patient, learn each and every day and continue to get better.”

When Bromley lines up opposite the Giants’ offensive linemen at practice, the rookie defensive tackle can look to his left and find Pugh’s familiar face.

But the fights he and Pugh used to pick with each other — and sometimes get kicked off the practice field at Syracuse for — are in the past.

“Luckily we’re not out on the streets, you can get arrested out there for doing that stuff,” said Pugh, a second-year right tackle with the Giants. “Me and Bromley got into it a few times at Syracuse but he’s my boy, so when you get upfield you give him a high-five and all’s good.”

Nassib doesn’t go up against Bromley as much as Pugh might, but has welcomed him to the Giants’ organization just as warmly.

“Great kid. I loved him when we were at Syracuse and I’m going to love him now,” said Nassib, the Giants’ backup quarterback and the all-time passing yards leader at Syracuse. “He knows that if he ever needs anything, any advice or whatever, that Justin and I are always here for him.

“He plays with a lot of heart, a lot of aggression and I’m excited for him.”

When the Giants knocked off the New England Patriots in both Super Bowl XLII and XLVI, they recorded more sacks than any other teams in each of the respective postseasons.

From the easternmost borough of New York City, Bromley studied those linemen — and still hasn’t stopped studying pass rushers across the country.

“I love watching the D-linemen play and just try to imitate the greats,” Bromley said. “That’s the way I look at it. You can always take little things and try to sprinkle it in your game.”

But now, for the Giants, the days of Umenyiora’s productivity are long gone and the era of Hall of Famer Michael Strahan — who ranks fifth in NFL history in sacks — is even more distant.

For the first time in 18 years, the Giants have gone back-to-back seasons placing outside of the top 20 in the NFL in team sacks.

Jason Pierre-Paul was once one of the most feared young defensive ends in the league, but is coming off two unproductive, incomplete seasons. He’s now expected to be the anchor of the Giants’ front four, since defensive end Justin Tuck bolted to the Oakland Raiders as a free agent.

“We’ve got a lot of work to do,” Pierre-Paul said at training camp in July. “The rookies we have here, I told straight up: Just do what you can to help us out but at the same time, learn the system.”

The Giants’ base defense is a 4-3 and the defensive tackles often line up in the three-technique, across from the B-gap between the offensive guard and tackle. SU ran a 4-3 and Bromley mostly played three-technique with the Orange, and those familiarities could work to his advantage as he adjusts to the NFL.

Though his hand skills and lower-body strength were adequate for taking on blocks and shedding them, Bromley said, his ability to keep his shoulder pads low needed work during training camp.

At 6 feet, 3 inches, he said, it’s not easy to stay low to the ground.

“He really needs to work on a lot of technique and needs every rep he can get,” Giants defensive line coach Robert Nunn said in July. “Great attitude, good personality, fits in the room and he’s off to a good start, but he needs time. But I like where he is as far as his eagerness.

“He’s done an outstanding job picking up the defense. Really exciting prospect.”

Bromley, listed at 306 pounds, has added about 20 pounds since last year, but said he’s still at a comfortable size for mobility.

He’s noticed that offensive linemen at the professional level are bigger and still just as quick as he is, and much sharper technique is needed to beat them.

After being deactivated for the Giants’ season opener, Bromley received his first NFL action at home against the Arizona Cardinals on Sept. 14 and recorded his first NFL tackle.

He’s low on the Giants’ depth chart now and it may be a while before he sees meaningful snaps.

Bromley has a long way to go to become the Giants’ next great pass rusher, but playing his home games in a stadium 40 minutes from where he grew up is a good start.

“It means everything, man,” Bromley said. “I was blessed enough to be drafted home and have the opportunity to play here. I just want to make the most of it.”