Shafer, Syracuse prep for Golson, Notre Dame after struggles against dual-threat quarterbacks

Syracuse nearly lost to Villanova and did lose to Maryland — the two times it’s faced teams led by dual-threat quarterbacks this season.

No. 8 Notre Dame and its quarterback, Everett Golson, are likely to be the Orange’s toughest such test of the season to date. SU (2-1) faces the Fighting Irish (3-0) at 8 p.m. Saturday at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey. And in his Tuesday teleconference, Orange head coach Scott Shafer talked about the need to contain Golson, who led UND to an undefeated regular season and the 2013 national title game, which it lost to Alabama.

“I think you have to take a look at the prepared run game stuff and then you also have to do a good job — he creates,” Shafer said. “He creates in passing downs with his feet, he extends plays and throws the ball down the field. And he can also scamper for good yardage.”

Golson missed last season after being suspended from school for “poor academic judgment,” but has thrown for seven touchdowns and no interceptions this year. He has also has four rushing touchdowns.

In SU’s 27-26 double-overtime win against Villanova, Wildcats quarterback John Robertson rushed for 133 yards. Maryland quarterback C.J. Brown only ran for 46, but his constant threat to the Orange defense helped the Terrapins to a 34-20 win in the Carrier Dome.

Said Shafer: “Have to have a good game plan and we have to have really good vision on our job at hand in the run game as well as getting our eyes back and always knowing where Golson is throughout the course of the play.”