Shafer, Notre Dame head coach Kelly discuss dual-threat quarterbacks Hunt, Golson

Against another, increasingly better opponent, Syracuse faces another, even better than the last, dual-threat quarterback.

On Saturday, SU (2-1) faces No. 8 Notre Dame’s (3-0) Everett Golson, who aside from Florida State’s Jameis Winston, is likely to be the most dangerous quarterback Syracuse will play all year. The Orange hasn’t successfully defended a mobile quarterback yet this season, allowing 115 rushing yards to Villanova’s John Robertson and losing to Maryland’s C.J. Brown despite containing him in the running game.

“(Golson) throws the ball extremely well. Quick release,” SU head coach Scott Shafer said on Wednesday morning on the Atlantic Coast Conference coaches’ teleconference. “Does a good job getting out of bad plays. If he gets caught in a bad play, he can take off with it and be extremely effective with his feet.”

Fighting Irish head coach Brian Kelly said earlier in the teleconference that two years ago, his offense played to the strength of his defense and used Golson as more of a game manager as the Irish rolled to an NCAA championship game appearance.

“We really tried not to put him in difficult situations offensively,” Kelly said. “This year, we’ve got to score points. So maturity, understanding of the offense and really putting him in that role to be a playmaker is really the biggest difference from two years ago.”

Kelly had high praise for Syracuse’s Terrel Hunt and the Orange’s rushing attack in its performance against Maryland on Saturday, calling it an “anomaly” that SU dominated the stat sheet but still lost the game.

Having to plan for Hunt, the Notre Dame head coach said that an additional defender is required to contain a mobile quarterback. That should open up chances in the passing game, he added.

“That’s the bind you put a defense in when you have a dual-threat quarterback,” Kelly said. “Terrel gives you that concern when he steps onto the field.

“Not only do you have to defend him as a runner — and his size obviously makes it a very big concern — but he’s going to get some great one-on-one opportunities as well.”