class of 2018

Otto’s Army to offer student bus trip for Sept. 27 game at MetLife Stadium

For the third consecutive year, Syracuse University students will be able to take buses to cheer on the football team at MetLife Stadium.

Otto’s Army is chartering buses to MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey for the SU football game on Sept. 27 against the University of Notre Dame.

Last year, Otto’s Army provided four buses to the game with a total of 200 available bus vouchers.

Sean Fernandez, president of Otto’s Army and a senior finance major, said vouchers for this year’s trip will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis. He said more information will be available on the Otto’s Army social media accounts in the next few weeks. He said in an email that he’s expecting a large turnout for the event, adding that many members have expressed interest in attending future bus trips.

“For student season ticket holders, both game tickets and bus vouchers will be free of charge,” Fernandez said. “Any students who have not purchased a season ticket package will be able to purchase a single game ticket to the Notre Dame game for $25.”

He also said the Class of 2018 has also shown lots of school spirit since arriving on campus.

Last year, Ben Glidden, then president of Otto’s Army, saw a similar trend. He said that he saw “high participation” among freshman students. Glidden, a senior public relations major, is now the public relations officer of Otto’s Army.

“We support SU football no matter what, and going on these road trips is a great way to show our team we’re always there to cheer,” he said.

Glidden said supporting SU football and basketball on the road has become a tradition.

“Otto’s Army has a long history of going to away games with bus trips,” Glidden said. “It’s a tradition that started before I was a student here and has been thriving lately.”

Fernandez said Otto’s Army hosts a bus trip to one football game and one basketball game a year, and every year there is a waitlist.

He said not to be discouraged when students get put on the waitlist. The committed students who are put on the waitlist will arrive on the day of the trip and will be rewarded seats for those who don’t arrive on time, he said.

The SU student section previously took buses to SU football games at MetLife Stadium in 2012 and 2013.

“MetLife Stadium is beautiful and students jump at the opportunity to go to New York City,” Glidden said. “We’ve had some exciting games down there the last couple of years and we’re hoping for another good one this year.”