Syracuse puts on full pads and other observations from Day 5 of training camp

Offense

Leading the offense to the line against a non-existent defense, the Syracuse quarterbacks practiced zone reads with assistant coaches Joe Adam and DeAndre Smith serving as the left defensive end.

Sophomore Mitch Kimble again commanded the second-team’s reps while sophomore Austin Wilson and freshman A.J. Long split the third-string offense, on which the assistant coaches yelled “Run!” during the first rep.

Before one snap, wide receiver Brisly Estime appeared to move too early in motion. Starter Terrel Hunt paused his calls from the shotgun to look at Estime and instruct him. As the unit moved downfield after Hunt handed off to Prince-Tyson Gulley, offensive coordinator George McDonald yelled to them, “If you don’t know what you’re doing, know what you’re doing!”

After working together as a unit, the offensive players split back into their positional groups. The tight ends worked on stopping, redirecting, turning and catching passes in route running, as they have all week.

The Orange’s running backs took carries from Smith and followed lanes, sometimes redirecting quickly off the handoff.

Special teams

The Orange’s field-goal units were on display early in the open part of practice Wednesday, as junior Ryan Norton took the first reps of field goals.

Punter Riley Dixon held down the snaps for Norton, while safety Darius Kelly set the holds for kickers Alex Hodgkinson and Cole Murphy a few snaps later. Kelly and Dixon are competing for the starting holder spot, left vacated by the graduated Charley Loeb.

Offensive line

Adam, SU’s offensive line coach, worked with his guards, instructing them through footwork drills. When moving to their right off the snap, the guards took a step back with their right foot, ran about five yards out and made a block leading with their right shoulders. They then reversed the drill, going to their left and switching to their left feet and shoulders. The tackles worked separately.

Later on, the linemen worked on blocking with one hand and then split into groups — the left and right sides of the line — for more footwork drills as practice was closed to the media.