Chilukuri Mohan

Professor named interim dean of College of Engineering and Computer Science

Chilukuri Mohan has been named interim dean-designate of the College of Engineering and Computer Science.

Syracuse University Vice Chancellor and Provost Eric Spina named Mohan to the position on Thursday. Mohan will take over as interim dean on Jan. 1, 2015, replacing current dean Laura Steinberg. Steinberg announced in May that she would step down as dean in December and take a semester-long sabbatical in the spring. She will return in a university-wide leadership role in the summer.

Mohan has been a faculty member at the university for more than 25 years, and has served as chair of the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, the college’s largest department, since 2009. That experience, and Mohan’s other qualities, made him best suited to serve as interim dean during this period, Spina said.

“He’s widely respected across the college and across the university,” he said. “He’s known for his integrity, for the quality of work he does and for his dedication to students.”

While searching for an interim dean, Spina said he asked faculty and staff in the College of Engineering and Computer Science to nominate individuals who they felt would be qualified for the position. He then met with the college’s faculty counsel, as well as a leadership group of department chairs and associate deans. Spina spoke with several candidates, he said, and made the decision that Mohan would be the best fit for interim dean.

“He was an outstanding candidate going into the process, but what I heard from faculty and staff made me understand he has a lot of support in the college and is viewed as a positive force,” Spina said.

Mohan said he hopes to increase the quality and reputation of both the college and the university. He said his time as a professor interacting with students will help him work toward those goals.

“My experience as a professor and chair also makes me appreciate the hard work of our faculty and staff, their involvement in shaping student experience and their role in achieving excellence at Syracuse University in education and research,” Mohan said.

In addition, Mohan said he would like to focus on improving students’ academic experience and enhancing faculty and staff productivity. He said those topics have been addressed before, but he said the college would benefit by considering new perspectives.

As interim dean, Mohan said he will also work with faculty, alumni and industrial partners on implementing the college’s strategic plan, which Steinberg, the current dean, has developed.

Spina said the search process for a permanent dean has not yet started. He and the chancellor will meet with the faculty of the college to talk about its direction sometime in September, he said.