center of excellence

Syracuse University releases final report on Interstate 81 construction

Syracuse University released its final report analyzing how future construction on Interstate 81 will affect the university and surrounding downtown area.

SU’s chancellor Kent Syverud appointed a workgroup to study and investigate the impact of changes to I-81 on April 15 as New York State began to conduct an environmental review on the multiple options proposed to replace I-81.

Construction on I-81 is expected to begin as early as 2017, and will continue for five years according to the report. No matter what alternative plan is selected for the interstate, the report said both vehicular and pedestrian traffic must improve on the University Hill and on the University campus.

The report made the following points to consider as SU approaches decisions for the campus involving I-81:

– There are not enough parking spaces on main campus, and in order to reduce daily traffic on University Hill it is suggested that parking locations should be moved from main campus to University Hill.

– There is no signature gateway that aligns well with traffic flow into SU.

– There is only one direct way to enter University Hill from I-81, which is through Adams and Harrison streets. It is suggested that at least one access point is established from both Interstate 490 and Interstate 690.

– There is currently no direct access point to West Campus from the highway. However, an opening of the Almond Street corridor to the city street grid would open West Campus to the city, providing an additional gateway to the University.

– For both long-term and short-term needs, it is suggested that the university help develop a multi-modal transportation system for the University Hill before I-81 construction begins.

– A majority of vehicles using I-81 use the interstate to exit the highway to reach a local destination. Only 6 percent of vehicles stay on I-81 to drive through the city, while another 5 percent use the I-690 exchange to access Interstate 90.

– The construction on I-81 will disrupt faculty, staff and students’ commutes accessing University locations in downtown Syracuse. The construction will also impact the SU Steam Plant. The report added that is important to advocate for solutions that minimize influence on the operations of its properties located off main campus during the interstate’s construction, including the Syracuse University Steam Station, the Nancy Cantor Warehouse, the 900 East Genesee street block, Peck Hall and the Syracuse Center of Excellence.

Michael Speaks, the head of the workgroup and the dean of the School of Architecture, said the workgroup’s job was to explore the impact of the five-year construction project, and understand how to best prepare for the destruction.

He added that the workgroup’s job was not to choose a specific plan for I-81, but to stress on preparing for the major construction.

“Whichever [plan] happens, there is going to be a lot of disruption,” Speaks said. “That’s a big, important finding.”

Correction: In the July 10 article, “Syracuse University releases final report on Interstate 81 construction” Michael Speaks was misquoted. In his last quote, he said “disruption” instead of “destruction.” The Daily Orange regrets this error.