Tennessee Tech scorer Henderson transfers to Syracuse, team announces

Diamond Henderson is transferring to Syracuse from Tennessee Tech, SU head coach Quentin Hillsman announced in a SU Athletics release on Friday. 

Henderson, a guard, averaged 19.7 points per game last season for the Golden Eagles, and was the team’s leading scorer by more than nine points per game. She has one year of eligibility remaining and can play immediately. 

“Diamond is a very explosive scorer and a tough defender with the ability to change a game on both ends of the floor,” SU head coach Quentin Hillsman said in the release. “Her skill set and experience at the Division I level will make her an immediate impact player this upcoming season.”

Henderson also averaged 3.5 rebounds and 3.2 assists in 2013-14. She was named to the All-Ohio Valley Conference First Team after ranking third in the conference in scoring. 

With Brittney Sykes’ status still in question after tearing her ACL and meniscus in the team’s NCAA tournament first-round game, Henderson’s scoring ability will begin to fill the potential void. 

“I am honored and excited to be a part of the Syracuse family,” Henderson said in the release. “I am delighted to be able to contribute to the women’s basketball program while furthering my education at this prestigious university.”