Editorial Board

SU graduates should continue to utilize Career Services after graduation

Graduates should continue to utilize the resources Career Services offers to help secure a job after graduation.

Career Services, a unit within the Division of Student Affairs, offers help to alumni within the following areas: interviewing, changing careers, graduate school planning, resumes and cover letters and job searches. The department aids alumni free of charge regardless of how long ago they graduated. Graduates can set up in-person, Skype or phone call consultations about their current job situation, or look through the resources presented on the alumni section of the site.

With all the resources offered, graduates should not be afraid to seek help from the university in finding a job or preparing for an interview. College creates foundations for students’ futures by preparing them to go into the job market. But it should also help create a strong network for after graduation. By utilizing the resources Career Services offers, graduates can use the skills they’ve acquired during their time at SU to strengthen the alumni network.

Although Career Services offers excellent resources to alumni, it needs to better publicize these services. Graduates cannot take advantage of the resources if they don’t know they exist. The improved visibilityshould start with current and incoming students. Career services should advertise their services through Twitter and other public platforms to reach a larger audience. If the office had a more active role during students’ time at SU, recent graduates might feel more comfortable using these services after they leave campus.

Career Services offers valuable resources to alumni of any age. Especially in the case of recent graduates, alumni who are struggling to secure a job should not be afraid to reach out to the office. In turn, Career Services should better publicize its resources to current students to ensure no one misses out on receiving help during or after his or her time at SU.