Women's Lacrosse

Senior Webster looks to maximize final regular-seaon game against Loyola

With only a handful of games remaining in her college career, senior Katie Webster is determined to leave nothing on the field as Syracuse makes another run at a championship.

And that run begins Saturday in the Orange’s regular-season finale.

“I will definitely give it my all in every game from here on out,” Webster said. “I don’t want to have that feeling that I didn’t try hard enough.’

Webster scored seven goals during the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament, tied for the most by any Orange player not named Kayla Treanor. She hopes to carry that momentum into her final regular-season home game when No. 2 Syracuse (17-2, 6-1 ACC) battles Patriot League champion Loyola (15-4, 8-0 Patriot) on Saturday at 1 p.m. in the Carrier Dome on Senior Day.

To this point, Webster has made the most of her final season. She ranks third on the team with 34 goals, has recorded at least one point in every single game and has scored in all but one contest.

She credits her newfound assertiveness, something that has taken her four years to develop. Prior to this season, Webster made it an emphasis to trust her gut during games.

If she saw a shot, she would take it. No more second-guessing.

“I remember freshman year, I was scared to take it to goal sometimes,” she said. “I just wasn’t feeling it and would get nervous before games.

“This year, I just haven’t felt the nerves and I’m more confident.”

Her teammates can see it as well. Fellow senior Alyssa Murray said the Orange wouldn’t be in its current position without Webster, who has become one of the leading voices from the midfield unit.

“It’s great that she’s finally found what works for her and has been able to produce throughout the year,” Murray said. “It’s the perfect time to peak. This is when we need her the most.”

She isn’t surprised to see Webster playing so well, and neither is SU head coach Gary Gait.

Gait said the local Christian Brothers Academy (N.Y.) product has been a fantastic representative for not only his team, but the entire Syracuse area. He considers Webster an All-American midfielder, and added that she has arguably the best work ethic of any player on the team.

He hopes all the hard work pays off during the postseason.

“There’s still potential to have another four-, five-goal game, and she can do that every game,” Gait said. “We need players to step up every game. That’s how you win championships and tournament games.”

First Webster leads SU into a bout with the Greyhounds, who have rebounded from an early four-game skid by winning 13 straight. Led by three-time Tewaaraton Award semifinalist Marlee Paton, Loyola would benefit hugely from a signature win against a top-five team before the NCAA tournament.

Webster said that she’ll first try to keep her emotions in check when she is honored along with her nine fellow seniors before the game.

Otherwise, she thinks it’ll be business as usual for the Orange, and is focused on helping the team pass its final test before the NCAA tournament.

“It’s big because it’s our last real home game,” she said. “We as seniors all get a chance to show Syracuse and the Dome what we have one more time.”