Tattoo Tuesday: Sarah Bogden

Shira Stoll | Staff Photographer

Sarah Bogden, a junior television, radio and film major, has a Roman numeral four behind her right ear. It represents herself, her mother, her two sisters, and the new journey they took when moving to Florida.

Sarah Bogden began her tattoo journey as a way to reflect her values without relying on the fleeting nature of worldly possessions.

The junior television, radio and film major’s first tattoo spans across her foot and reads, “It’s a wonderful life.” She got the ink to honor her grandpa who passed away, and with whom she used to watch the classic holiday film every year around Christmastime.

Bogden got her next ink after her parents divorced, when she moved down to Florida in August 2013 with her mother and two sisters, Jessica and Kaley.

She had always played with the idea of getting a double infinity symbol with their four names inside, but instead opted for a simpler piece — the Roman numeral four.

“We were out to dinner at this really shaggy place called Dune Dog,” Bogden said. “I was like, ‘I really wanna get this tattoo,’ and my mom suggested we go check it out and see what the artist says.”

Together, they strolled over to the Ink Addiction Tattoos in Jupiter, Fla.

The Roman numeral represents the four women — mother, sisters and Bogden — and the new chapter that opened up with their lives when they moved to Florida.

“We were always a team,” she said. “I really am best friends with my mom.”

Bogden said that her affiliation with tattoo culture has strengthened over the years. She already has plans to get an “Om” sign in the center of her back after she receives her yoga certification.

She also believes her collection of ink will grow as she finds her way through life, permanently displaying the different paths she’s taken and the understanding she’s gained, she said.

Said Bogden: “When you’re younger, you’re so scared to brand yourself. Now that I’m older, I’m so much more confident in myself. I understand that’s why people get tattoos.”