Miner announces funding for police, fire department classes in early budget release

Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner will include funding in the city’s 2014–15 budget for the first new police and fire department classes since 2011, she announced Monday.

“Keeping our community safe and keeping Syracuse’s fiscal house in order are the top priorities of this administration,” Miner said in a release. “Now is the right time to infuse our fire and police departments with new talent. I look forward to welcoming these men and women into service for the people of the City of Syracuse.”

The city hired its most diverse classes ever in 2011, with “record” numbers of female and minority candidates, according to the mayor’s office. The department certified 34 officers in 2011, according to its 2012 annual report.

The report lists that 90.6 percent of the department’s “sworn personnel” were white in 2012. The mayor’s office said Miner will seek to hire diverse candidates in the upcoming class.

Miner announced the funding for new classes before unveiling the rest of the city’s 2014–15 budget. The full budget will be released Tuesday.

Sgt. Gary Bulinski of the Syracuse Police Department did not immediately return a call about the funding. Syracuse University Department of Public Safety Chief Tony Callisto also did not immediately return a call.

Syracuse councilor-at-large Pamela Hunter, chair of the Public Safety Committee, did not immediately respond to an email about the funding.