Culture

Wardrobe Wednesday: Sam Tress

Ayumi Matsubara | Contributing Photographer

Sam Tress draws inspiration for her outfits from her high school acting days.

Sam Tress, an undeclared freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences, loves to look put-together no matter what the occasion is. She factors many elements into her personal style and is always finding new ways to coordinate her looks into something different for every season.

Wearing an Aqua sweater and a Blank NYC vest with Hudson jeans, Frye boots and Fiji nail polish by Essie, Tress believes it’s important for women to dress for themselves because it gives them a sense of identity. The vest Tress is pictured in is her favorite winter staple, she said.

As a former actress, Tress was surrounded by intricately designed costumes during her high school show seasons. These gave her many ideas for her outfits and played a significant role in forming her own style.

“I’ve pieced together a lot of my own looks with the ideas I had seen in the dressing rooms,” Tress said. “It definitely helped me learn to accessorize better, and I can top any outfit off with the appropriate makeup.”

Tress is pictured wearing Tory Burch stud earrings and a Michele watch. She prefers simple accessories that can be paired with almost any outfit, but still give off a stylish edge.

As far as her fashion inspiration, it has stemmed from more places than her acting day dressing rooms.

“I spent one summer working at a designer-only consignment shop. I learned a lot about high-end brands and styled a lot of the looks inside of the store. Sorting the clothes and watching customers put outfits together taught me a lot about style, and influenced my own,” Tress explained.

Tress has her eye on a few great pieces for the spring, and is dying to wear clothes she’s gotten during the winter.

“I’m looking forward to wearing a light, navy J.Crew jacket that I got for my birthday in November. It hasn’t gotten much use, needless to say. I also can’t wait to wear an orange Splendid maxi skirt I just bought. It’s bright and can easily be dressed up or down,” she said.

Whether it’s a pair of jeans and a simple sweater or dark pants and a fur vest with minimal accessories, Sam Tress tries her best to look trendy day-to-day.