Letter to the Editor

Students should attend Ron Paul lecture

Tonight, The College Republicans at Syracuse University are hosting a lecture by former Texas Congressman Ron Paul titled “Defining Liberty.” It will be a great experience to hear an outspoken former politician whose views are considered to be appealing to the youngest generation of voters in America.

Hearing a non-interventionist advocate speak at SU will increase opinion diversity on campus, and will appeal to those on the left side of the spectrum who have been advocating a more pacifist foreign policy along with many other Americans that are simply weary of the recent foreign engagements our country has been involved in. Hearing his position on campus will likely be a reminder of the differing opinion the Republican Party has to offer in contrast to the familiar neoconservative views of other Republicans.

Aside from foreign policy, Paul’s strand of Republicanism advocates for the increasingly popular legality of drugs such as marijuana. According to Paul, current drug laws have targeted minorities and increased incarceration rates amongst them. Recent initiatives in the decriminalization and regulated sale of marijuana in Colorado and Washington lie very much in line with proposals that Paul has pushed for throughout his decades-long experience in Congress and during his numerous presidential runs. Students should be able to admire a politician that has stayed true to his positions even when they were unpopular and dismissed.

Fiscally, Paul has always been at the forefront of pushing for citizens to keep more of their hard earned dollars. He has always promoted a flat tax, in place of the current federal income tax to alleviate this problem. These proposals along with his long stated view of “Ending the Fed” have been a rallying cry to his supporters to decrease government inference in our economy. These points may not be as familiar with our generation currently but are worth investigating as an alternative to mainstream economic theories.

Remember to get your free tickets before they sell out at the Schine Student Center Box Office to hear this renowned speaker. Doors will open at 6 p.m. and he will be speaking at 7:30 p.m. in Hendricks Chapel.

This event provides a thought-provoking speaker for millennials on all ends of the spectrum. I encourage all students to attend this event and come with an open mind to learn and enjoy Paul’s political perspective.

Dimitri Skambas is a junior Economics major in the College of Arts and Sciences.