New York State Senate rejects DREAM Act, campus discusses implications

The DREAM Act, a proposal that would expand state-funded tuition assistance to undocumented students, failed to pass in the New York State Senate on Monday.

The DREAM Act passed in the N.Y. Assembly 82 to 46 in favor of the bill on Feb. 25, but the bill was struck down in the Senate gaining only 30 votes in favor of the bill and 29 against.  It needed 32 votes to pass. A similar proposal failed last year in the state Senate before ever making it to a vote.

The bill would have allowed $25 million for undocumented students who attend a public or private college, according to a press release by the assembly. Undocumented students are foreign nationals who are in the United States under false documents, or who have entered legally but are staying without authorization.

The Tuition Assistance Program would pay up to $5,000 a year for undergraduates at four-year institutions, according to the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation. Seventeen states, including New York, allow undocumented students to pay in-state tuition at public colleges.

Georgina Martinez, one of the co-founders of Syracuse Undocumented Rising, said in an email that the group is happy that Sen. David Valesky (D-Oneida) co-sponsored the bill.  Despite that, Martinez said undocumented students won’t forget the Senate’s decision not to pass the bill.

“From Syracuse to New York City, undocumented youth will hold both Republicans and Democrats accountable for their utter disrespect towards our community,” Martinez said.

One of the complaints about the bill is that by using taxpayer money to fund assistance to undocumented students, opportunities are taken away from students who are citizens.

Among those against the bill is Sen. Greg Ball (R-Putnam). According to the New York Daily News, Ball said in a statement that providing tuition assistance to those that are here illegally is “simply unreasonable.”

“We have millions of New Yorkers wondering how they heck they are going to pay for student loans and help their children go to college,” Ball said in the statement. “Meanwhile, legislators in Albany want to use taxpayer dollars to fund college tuition for illegal aliens. The DREAM Act is a slap in the face to hardworking New Yorkers and immigrants that are here legally, paying taxes and doing it the right way.”

Shana Gadarian, an assistant professor of political science at Syracuse University, said even if undocumented students are qualified academically, they aren’t eligible for federal student aid.  Because of this, some students are unable to afford college, she added.

“Any reform to allow students access to federal student aid makes college more affordable,” Gadarian said.

Students can borrow money to pay for college, Gadarian said, but they have to borrow at higher interest rates because they are undocumented.

This may not be the last time New Yorkers see the DREAM Act or another similar piece of legislation, Gadarian said.  The bill may undergo reform and be tried again for a vote later, but Gadarian said it would probably not be before elections in November.