Women's Lacrosse

Maryland surges past Syracuse to give Orange 1st loss of season

When Katie Webster scored with 14:51 remaining in the first half to give No. 2 Syracuse (6-1, 2-1 Atlantic Coast) a one-goal advantage, it appeared the Orange had survived another early onslaught from a conference opponent.

But it couldn’t survive the second wave that immediately followed.

No. 3 Maryland (8-0, 2-0 ACC) surged to the lead with a three-goal spurt just past the midway point of the half and never trailed after that point. Kelly McPartland netted a hat trick and added two helpers as the Terps posted a 12-10 victory and handed SU its first loss of the season.

“Maryland is a confident team with great talent, and they stepped up and made plays,” Orange head coach Gary Gait said. “I thought we had some great looks at the cage and if we shot a bit better, one or two goals make a big difference in a game like this.”

SU attack Alyssa Murray opened the scoring only 1:54 into the game. After the Terrapins answered with two quick tallies, Kayla Treanor knotted things at two with her team-leading 24th goal.

Then Webster put the Orange ahead, but the lead only lasted 11 seconds.

That’s how long it took Maryland’s Beth Glaros to win the ensuing draw and sprint downfield for the tying goal. Two and a half minutes later, Erin Collins gave the Terps the lead for good.

Despite losing 15-of-24 draw controls, the Orange managed to hang around and trade blows the rest of the night. However, it couldn’t generate enough possessions to mount a comeback.

“In a one- or two-goal game, you have to have the ball,” Gait said.

Treanor would add two more goals and an assist, and Orange draw specialist Kailah Kempney also set a program record with the 182nd control of her career late in the second half.

The Orange returns to action Saturday against No. 4 Florida in the Carrier Dome at noon.