Women and Gender

Gorny: White Ribbon campaign brings attention to domestic violence

When “To Kill a Mockingbird’s” Atticus Finch suggested his daughter try considering things from someone else’s perspective, he probably wasn’t imagining a cluster of men stumbling down Walton Street in high heels.

But that literal interpretation is just the attention-grabber that Vera House has planned to kick off its annual White Ribbon campaign against domestic and sexual violence on March 28. While the Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event is an effective way to spur broad conversation on an important topic, it’s imperative that the spectacle does not overshadow the cause.

Although the whole community is encouraged to join, the event is largely characterized by the many male participants that slide into women’s shoes — and sometimes women’s clothing — for the less-than-a-mile downtown trek. Chris Benton, Vera House’s director of communications and special events, said she expected about 200 men and women in a variety of get-ups to gather in Clinton Square at noon for this year’s event. Registration is still available online.

Now in its 20th year in Onondaga County, the White Ribbon campaign particularly emphasizes male leadership in the fight against domestic and sexual violence. So the emphasis on male participation in the international Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event makes it a natural fit.

It also makes for a media attraction that launches the White Ribbon campaign into local prominence. “It’s just a great way for us to get the community talking about the issue,” Benton said.

But the focus of this press coverage and community conversations should steer away from the surface-level — overblown drag outfits and the “bravery” of the men who don stilettos. These emphases only trivialize and lessen the experiences of domestic violence victims as well as the transgender community.

Squeezing into a pair of high heels will never be sufficient to truly empathize with or understand the victims of domestic and sexual violence.

Vera House received some criticism regarding this when it first connected with Walk a Mile in Her Shoes in 2009, Benton said. But after talking it over and changing their promotional material to eliminate an obviously male leg and add a greater variety of shoes — her shoes can be flip-flops and sneakers, too — they’ve found that the community has responded well to the event.

And Vera House commendably keeps the educational and supportive aspect of the event at the forefront.  The event includes a brief presentation before the walk and a request that participants tie a piece of white ribbon around a tree or lamppost along the route as a visual reminder of the White Ribbon campaign, Benton said.

Within this context, the wild shoe choices just help establish a fun and non-threatening environment.

Starting with the walk, the White Ribbon campaign will continue for 10 days. Largely thanks to the influence of Syracuse University’s former dean of student affairs, Tom Wolfe, the campaign has a particular presence on campus. For example, Benton said the university bookstore will sell the white ribbons that both raise funds for Vera House and symbolize support for the fight against domestic and sexual violence.

The White Ribbon campaign is an admirable cause that deserves our attention and support. Whether we choose to participate by buying a ribbon or by trekking through Armory Square, it’s important that we recognize the issues at the heart of the campaign.

Nicki Gorny is a junior newspaper and online journalism and Spanish major. Her column appears weekly. She can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @Nicki_Gorny.