Ennis named finalist for Bob Cousy Award, given to nation’s top point guard

Syracuse point guard Tyler Ennis is one of six finalists for the 2014 Bob Cousy Collegiate Point Guard of the Year Award, given annually to the nation’s premier point guard.

He is looking to become the first freshman and first Syracuse player to win the award, which began in 2004 to commemorate former Boston Celtic great Bob Cousy.

Ennis is the first freshman in Atlantic Coast Conference history to lead the league in assists (5.5) and steals (2.1). He was also named to the All-ACC second team and the All-Freshman first team.

He hit a 35-foot runner as time expired to give Syracuse a stunning 58-56 win over Pittsburgh on Feb. 12 and keep the Orange’s record unblemished. Ennis also scored six points in the final two minutes to help SU outlast Pitt the first time the teams played on Jan. 18.

He joins UCLA’s Kyle Anderson, Ohio State’s Aaron Craft, Connecticut’s Shabazz Napier, North Carolina’s Marcus Paige and Wichita State’s Fred VanVleet as this year’s finalists. Past winners include Michigan’s Trey Burke in 2013, Connecticut’s Kemba Walker in 2011 and St, Joseph’s Jameer Nelson in 2004.

The winner will be announced on April 7, the morning of the national championship game, at the Hall of Fame’s Class Announcement in North Texas.