Dayton assistant Griffin prepares to face alma mater SU in NCAA Tournament

BUFFALO, N.Y. — After a stint at Virginia Tech, Adrian Autry was all ready to head to Dayton, Ohio, to become an assistant coach for the Flyers.

But the pieces started to fall in place for him to make his way back to Syracuse. Rob Murphy left the Orange to become the head coach at Eastern Michigan, so Autry had the chance to return to his alma mater.

That meant UD needed someone new, and it took a look at someone with a similar pedigree.

Allen Griffin had been an assistant coach St. Francis (N.Y.), but Dayton, in the position his good friend opted not to take, was his new destination.

“That was somewhere where I wanted to go,” Autry said. “Archie Miller’s a great coach and I believed in what he was talking about.”

Griffin saw the same thing and is now in his third year as an assistant coach for the Flyers. For the first time since joining UD, he will meet his alma mater Saturday at First Niagara Center in the third round of the NCAA Tournament. Griffin was a guard for SU from 1997-2001 where he started 68 total games and averaged 10.8 points per game as a senior, and has remained close with Autry and longtime assistant Mike Hopkins over the years.

“I know someplace on him he’s got something orange,” Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim said. “It’s not going to be in view, but his heart will be for sure.”

When Autry’s SU career ended and he began playing overseas, Griffin was still playing for the Orangemen. During the summers, Autry would come back to the United States and work out with Griffin or play in tournaments together.

“He’s like a little brother to me,” Autry said.

When they both got into the coaching field, though, little brother helped big brother. Griffin began coaching before Autry, so Autry leaned on him for advice — advice he gleaned from Hopkins.

“Probably the mentor for me,” Griffin said of Hopkins. “Whenever I run into a jam or a situation, I make sure that I call him and get his advice first and foremost.”

His relationship with Hopkins began during Griffin’s freshman season. Griffin struggled as a reserve guard to start his career, but worked with Hopkins and developed into a starter by his sophomore season.

So when Griffin decided he wanted to go into coaching, Hopkins was an obvious example to look up to. And he proved to Hopkins during his career that he had what it takes to be successful in the coaching business.

“He was a guy who had great ability, but he wasn’t one of those guys that just depended on that ability,” Hopkins said. “He built everything he did on hard work and that’s what I respect so much about him.”

Griffin talks to Hopkins on occasion — Hopkins said they spoke about a month ago —and Autry nearly every day.

“I kind of leave coach Boeheim alone during the season,” Griffin said. “He can be a little bit cranky, so I’ll send Juli (Boeheim) some text messages throughout the year, especially on holidays, and just say hello.”

This weekend, though, they haven’t crossed paths much. Autry saw Griffin scouting the Orange’s game Thursday and “told him to go home.”

When Saturday’s game ends, no matter the result, Griffin will walk over to SU’s sideline and at least try to give Boeheim a hug. Griffin said he likes to see the Orange do well, but he won’t be thinking about that in the Round of 32.

Said Griffin: “Right now, I bleed red and blue.”