University Union

Actor to speak at SU April 1

Fans of the Fox comedy “New Girl” will have the chance to see one of its leading men up close this spring.

Actor Max Greenfield will speak at Goldstein Auditorium on April 1 at 7:30 p.m. as a part of a collaboration between The Winnick Hillel Center for Jewish Life and University Union.

Tickets will go on sale Monday at the Schine Box Office for $5. The event is open to the public.

Greenfield, who plays Schmidt on “New Girl,” will cover a range of topics, including his past television and film work and what it is like to be a Jewish actor playing a Jewish character, said Zach Goldberg, the president of the Hillel Jewish Student Union.

Goldberg said he approached UU with a list of people Hillel wanted to bring on campus and asked for their opinions and assistance. Hillel worked with Greenfield’s agent to come up with an offer and have the event.

Picking Greenfield as a speaker was a “very easy choice” for Hillel, Goldberg said.

“Not too long ago, he was doing an interview where he talked about his SNL-themed bar mitzvah, which we thought was awesome,” he said. “We were like, ‘oh, here’s somebody who is in the public eye who is Jewish and also very proud of it.’”

Sam Weinberg, UU’s director of collaborations and a former advertising representative for The Daily Orange, said Hillel contacted UU and wanted to get its show on a bigger scale.  Not only is UU helping Hillel promote the event on social media, he added, but the programming board is also helping Hillel produce and run the show.

Said Weinberg: “We’re going to help them and show them the ropes so that they can continue to do this themselves in the future.”